𝘃𝗶𝗶. 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗹𝗲𝗱𝗴𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗽𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿

WARNINGS: VIOLENCE, MENTIONS OF BLOOD, SMUT, HURTFUL LANGUAGE

┌─────── •✦• ───────┐

Monday, December 19th, 1917:

"YOU can't believe that Heathcliff was good for Catherine, Eli." Adrienne laughed in disbelief as she sat opposite the original in the abattoir living room.

"If society allowed for them to wed, they would've wreaked far less havoc."

The two supernaturals had many things in common and their love for literature was one of them. Neither knew that the other read the same novels, plays and poems. One day Elijah accidentally stumbled on Adrienne reading some of his favourites and since then they started an informal sort of book club.

She viewed it as a way to bond with the original, but for obvious reasons, Klaus was not a fan of their meetings at all.

But too bad he couldn't do much to control who his queen and it's not like she would listen to him.

Adrienne clicked her tongue as she stared directly into his eyes, "I still believe that their relationship was odd."

"Toxicity breeds in small spaces," he replied. His blazer was placed on the back of his chair as he sat comfortably.

She crossed her legs slowly, pulling his gaze down to the action, before he snapped out of it and looked away, silently cursing himself for losing composure.

"I'm referring to their relationship, they were practically raised as siblings." she corrected.

"And yet they were unrequited lovers." he mused, furrowing his brows, slightly disturbed by the context.

She laughed at his discomfort, "Does that not make you feel uncomfortable?" she asked leaning forward.

Today her hair was placed in a low bun, that perfectly insulated her features. She had it hot combed only a couple of days prior, but the drizzle that had been inhabiting the city often brought her locks back to their natural afro texture. Sometimes she wished she could shave it all off, but then remembered how many years she had been looking after her hair.

It's something she wore as a crown and that crown had almost grown to her rib cage.

Adrienne was many things and dedication was one of them.

Elijah nodded as he readjusted his sleeves, "Of course but their heated relations were my main focus." he said and his eyes lingered on her face for a moment.

She hummed, "And I was focused more on the undertones of the novel."

"Such as?" he was very interested in her opinion, wondering what was bouncing around her brain.

It was rare that he conversed with many intellects.

His family often spoke, but their words always carried more sins than anything exemplary.

But he couldn't complain. He mustn't, they were his blood and the fact they still were alive allowed him to be content, until the next problem they had to face came along.

"Heathcliff exoticism." she pointed out.

"He was depicted as a gipsy."

"And if he were from a 'normal background'," she said rolling her eyes and he cracked a smile, "you can't possibly think that Catherine would be as enamoured with the man."

He hummed in agreement, then added, "Ah yes, similar to Othello and Desdemona."

Her eyes widened with excitement, remembering one of her favourite Shakespeare plays. She recalled when only a few days ago she had Elijah had discussed their favourite acts. Despite having to deal with various attacks, she still had to find time to enjoy the simple pleasures the world was so gracious to bring her.