Opportunity or Catastrophe

It was a new day for Shido Itsuka.

He was pumped up and ready for the day. He jumped out of bed and groomed himself, switching his blue nightwear for a blue shirt and brown pants. He walked downstairs, headed to the kitchen, and made Kotori a heartwarming, delicious breakfast. The two had breakfast, and Kotori waved goodbye.

"I will be going home late. I've got a lot of work to do." Kotori smiled and waved goodbye.

"Alright, take care and don't push yourself." Shido replied with a gentle smile.

"Who do you think you're talking to? Bye." Kotori confidently replied. She waved and left.

Shido was now alone, sitting on his couch. He waited for an hour just in case Kotori came back.

"Alright, the coast is clear," Shido said to himself as he went upstairs to his room. He grabbed some books from his schoolbag. The books are about advanced physics and engineering. He placed them on the desk and booted up his computer.

"Alright, with Kotori absent, the Spirits having some kind of girl's outing, and these college-level library books, I finally have some time." He commented with relief.

He clenched his fist and started studying.

The reason he was studious was not because of an upcoming exam, but to help him seal the White Reaper. Watching the interaction between Kotori and the White Reaper, he knew she was far more advanced than him.

In order to get some headway, he needed to try something, anything. He knew Ratatoskr was already doing their part and a few steps ahead of him, but the thought of not doing anything made him feel better.

"Okay, do you know what a particle accelerator and an antiproton decelerator are?" Shido recalled the White Reaper's raspy and masculine-like voice.

He browsed the terms in his books and online. He found the definition and read it out loud.

"A particle accelerator is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to propel charged particles to very high speeds and energies and to contain them in well-defined beams. The Antiproton Decelerator is a machine that produces low-energy antiprotons for studies of antimatter and "creates" antiatoms." Shido read it out loud and felt like his brain was split in half.

"What does she intend to do with this stuff?" He asked himself.

He then remembered his conversation with Kotori last night.

"Ratatoskr has many investors backing it up, from electronics companies to entertainment conglomerates. We are confident we can be on par with DEM, but I wouldn't get too confident. Just like us, they don't know what they're doing behind the shadows." Kotori's words popped into his mind.

Still conflicted about how he could win the White Reaper's cooperation before sealing, he continued to read more information.

"Is this some sort of hobby for her? Does she want to invent something? Is she testing us? Why is she willing to collaborate with DEM even if it means betraying her?