Chapter 3: the smart kid

George POV.

“George.” The vulture-like history teacher tested out my name, seemingly rolling it around her tongue as though it was a piece of candy. “Come in and take a seat next to Wilbur.” She stated, before standing to the side. I waved goodbye to Karl before scurrying into the classroom.

I was slightly confused since I didn’t know who Wilbur was and felt my face burning red as everyone stared at me. Eventually he must have pitied me because a brunette near the back of the class stuck up his hand. “I’m Wilbur,” he told me, and a small smile appeared on my face as I walked over to sit at the desk beside him.

“It’s nice to meet you Wilbur,” I responded, “I’m George.”
“I know, Mrs Rogers seems to hate your name though, but then again she hates a lot of things.” He said, and I noticed that he had a British accent too, which made me happy that I wasn’t the only student from there who went to this school.

“So was Karl giving you a tour?” The brunette asked curiously, and I nodded.
“Yeah, he showed me where most of my classes were, turns out we had a lot to talk about too.” I said with a small grin appearing on my face.
“That’s good, he’s one of the nicest guys in the school, and in my friend group too.” He said.

“You’re friends with Karl?” I questioned, and the brunette just nodded.
“He and I are good friends. If you want at lunch I could introduce you to some of our other friends. They’ll all definitely like you.” He hummed.
“How do you-”

“George, Wilbur. Both of you detention after school for talking during class!” Mrs Rogers snapped from the front of the class, causing both of us to freeze. We looked over at her apologetically as she glared at us for a moment before turning to her lesson.

“I feel so bad that this is the first teacher you have at school here.” Wilbur said quietly, and I giggled at what he said. I covered it up as Mrs Rogers turned to glare at us again, before going back to writing on the board at the front of the class.

“Okay class, so before we move onto our next topic, I want you to remind me of some of the things we learned about the most famous ship in history, the RMS Titanic. Does anyone know anything about the Titanic?” She asked.

A couple of hands shot up in the air and the teacher picked a girl who had her golden hair pulled in a messy bun. “It was a ship from 1912.” She stated. “And there was a movie made about it.”
“Correct.” The teacher said, writing the words ‘April 1912’ on the board. Then she spun around and called out another student's name.

A boy with curly black hair spoke up next. “It took two hours and forty minutes for the Titanic to sink.” He stated. I had put my hand up and listened to what the other students were saying. I loved reading and learning about a lot of different things such as the Titanic so I knew a lot about it.

One of my favourite books was about inventions that changed the world, and there was a chapter dedicated to the Titanic. I loved looking at the art work, and the blueprints, and reading about all the facts that were available in the book.

Before my name was called another name was called, this time the a boy whose name was Clay. “The Titanic was one of three sister ships, which were all White Star Line's Olympic class of steamships.” He stated. “The other two were called the Olympic and the Britannic.” He finished explaining.

The teacher smiled at him, seeming less hostile to the blond, possibly he was her favourite student as she turned around and wrote what Clay said on the board. When Mrs Rogers turned back she seemed ready to continue but noticed my hand was up and let out a loud sigh before calling out my name. “George? Do you have something to tell us?”

“Well the Titanic was believed to be unsinkable.” I stated. “Although the side of the bow of the ship wasn’t strong enough to endure the hit, however, if the ship had hit the ice head on, engineers and shipwrights believe it would have survived.”

I took a moment to look around at the class and saw a lot of people staring at me in disbelief, especially the blond who had been called on a moment before. I just smirked to myself at their expressions before continuing what I was saying. “Since they thought the ship was invincible they ended up removing a lot of the lifeboats to make it seem more appealing and neat.”

“There is a theory though that the Titanic didn’t actually sink, but instead White Star Line claimed an older ship was the Titanic so that if it crashed they’d get more insurance on the wreckage, since the Titanic was more modern.” I added on at the end, a kind of ‘cherry on top’ of what I was saying.

“Yeah,” Clay suddenly agreed with me as he jumped up. “People think that the Titanic was replaced with the slightly older Olympic ship. They were both built in 1910, however the Olympic was used before the Titanic, the ships were almost identical, plus the Titanic went through a lot of renovations mere days before it was meant to set sail.”

Clay looked over at me after he said that, almost as if he was examining me, but before I could say anything else the teacher grumbled something. “Both of you sit down.” She stated, “and Clay for disrupting the class and calling out when you weren’t meant to, you will be getting detention after school today along with Mr Soot and Mr Davidson.”

The blond seemed unfazed at what she said, but quietly sat down without any protest. I turned my attention away from him to see Wilbur staring at me with a smirk on his face. “What?” I asked, feeling slightly weirded out by his expression.
“How are you that smart?” He asked, and I just shrugged at the question.

“What do you mean I am smart? I just know some facts and all, nothing special.” I attempted to shrug off the brunette’s statement but he continued.
“Nobody has ever gotten Clay like that,” The brunette smirked. “And I should know, the two of us have been friends for years. He looked almost flustered when you knew as much as he did.”

I turned my attention away from Wilbur and watched Clay quietly while Mrs Rogers wrote something on the board. I saw the blond grabbing out a small leather book, from his hoodie. He quickly scribbled something down in it with a pen before shutting it and pocketing it again.

My eyebrows furrowed at it, but I turned away as Mrs Rogers began telling us some more about the Titanic.
_________________________________________
1188 words

That is a nice number, but now the word count has changed. Oops