Chapter 69: Marshmallow

Today is sacred. It is chapter 69, and 3 chapters of a new story is up.

Anyway, that means after today there are two more chapters of manipulation high, so enjoy.
_________________________________________
George POV.

Because of the terrible rain from the previous night we were told that the activity we were going to be doing today, meaning that we were just going to be hanging around the campsite all day. It was honestly going to be boring, especially since tomorrow we were going to be heading home.

Even though the skies had cleared and the mud on the ground was beginning to cake, it was still freezing. This is why I was looking forward to the campfire this evening, especially since we were told that we would be roasting marshmallows.

Until then though, I would be fine spending the day in the tent, where it was probably one degree warmer than it was outside. Clay was also in here, having been begging me for the past half an hour to continue reading my book to him. Watching his reaction with each word I read was honestly quite enjoyable. I smiled warily as I finished the twelth chapter before stretching.

It had been several hours that the two of us had been in here, only leaving when one of us needed the bathroom or lunch was being served to the group. Recently the sun had started setting and I had to change from reading the stories with the natural light, to holding a torch awkwardly while leaning against the blond while he held one.

I was expectadly upset that we didn’t get to do anything for fun today. I wasn’t too sure what we’d be doing but I’d heard a lot of stories from river rafting, to rock climbing, to building huts in the middle of the forest. Honestly I didn't know how half of the options I heard about had anything to do with history, but I wasn’t complaining.

Another thing that I was happy about was the fact that tomorrow we would be able to go home. I missed my comfortable bed, and wifi, and all that other fun stuff, and I was excited to get to talk to Quackity, Skeppy, and Bad again after not being able to see them for two weeks.

A small part of me was sad though. I had said I wouldn’t talk to Clay until he did what was right, after this week of camp of course since it would be hard to not talk to my partner. Even though I had been reminding the blond that we wouldn’t talk after this week until he dealt with the book, it felt like now I was affected more than he was.

The sound of a voice calling out to all of the students was what caused me to shut the book and stretch. The blond beside me did the same thing before beginning to crawl towards the entrance of the tent, but he made me wait behind him as he pulled his shoes on before stepping out into the chilly evening.

Dinner tonight was supposed to be decent, after all it was going to be sausages and mashed potatoes, both of which I had been a fan of since I was a little kid. A lot of the other students gathered around all seemed excited too, after all last night we were forced to just have sandwiches since there was no other way to cook in the weather.

The fire had been built up, larger than it had been days before although it was still safe, as the teachers all told us. Most of us were standing around, seeing as the logs that were being used as seats hadn’t had the chance to dry, however the places that were dry enough had kids bunched up as much as humanly possible.

To keep as warm as possible, I leaned against Clay, not really caring how many people were watching, including Sapnap, Karl, Wilbur, and Techno. The four of them stood near the opposite side of the campfire watching me silently, although I pretended not to notice as I stared down at the flames in front of me.

It was like that for a while. My four friends kept trying to get me to talk to them, however I didn’t want to talk to them at the moment. Maybe it was because I was just tired, wanting to eat my potatoes and sausages, have a marshmallow, and head to sleep, or maybe I just wanted to spend as much uninterrupted time with Clay as possible.

There was a lot of chatter as the temperature continued to plummet, causing everyone to shuffle closer to the fire. We ate quickly, since the promise of marshmallows was getting us all excited. I’d never had the chance to roast marshmallows, and when I had told Clay that this morning he went on a rant about how they may be one of the greatest inventions of all time.

Needless to say my hopes were high, especially with all of the buzz continuing as we finished eating and watching the camp counsellor walking over with a box of (what we expected to be) the fabled marshmallows, and Mr Ryans walking with him carrying a bundle of long wooden sticks.

“Looks like everyone knows what we are doing,” the councillor said happily, chuckling slightly as he put the box on the ground, clearly showing at least a dozen bags of mega marshmallows sitting inside.Each bag reading in big white letters ‘20 large marshmallows, perfect for toasting as a family’.

“So I want you all to line up single file in front of myself or one of your teachers and we will give you your marshmallow.” He instructed as the students eyed him and the food eagerly. “We have more than enough sticks for each of you to have one, and you can  each have a couple of marshmallows too, depending on how your teachers think you have been behaving this week.”

I tried to resist the eye roll at the thought of Mrs Rogers being the one to decide if we deserved more marshmallows or not. She probably would say we don’t deserve them and then eat all of the food while we were asleep, however before allowing myself to laugh at my thoughts I listened back into the instructions.

“Since there are so many of you, you all need to be careful around the fire while roasting your mellows, and once you’ve cooked them the way you like them make sure to step away from the fire.” Honestly this was just standard stuff, and I wondered why he thought it was important to tell this to a group of teenagers who are all 17 or 18 already.

So that was about it, they instructed us to line up and I stood with the blond in line, watching as the other kids grabbed their marshmallows and began surrounding the fire. Once we’d gotten our marshmallows we followed suit, deciding that to make room for other people we’d squish up together. It wasn’t anything romantic, just us being considerate of others.
_________________________________________
1226 words.

Speaking of being considerate, you guys should all go check out Antiheroes. I wrote it because of your voting for it in this story