Chapter 38: speak of the devil

Late chapter
Wool!
_________________________________________
George POV.

“Why were you avoiding us yesterday?” Karl asked as he approached me at my locker. He seemed upset that I hadn’t sat with the rest of the friend group at lunch, or talked with any of them in the classes we shared, the only contact which I had had with my friend group was the conversation with Sapnap after school, and Bad during cooking club.

“Clay was the one who wanted to avoid you guys. I think there was an argument between him and Sapnap, because they were glaring at each other a lot when they saw each other.” I explained, before apologising for allowing Clay to keep me away from my friends.

“Are you sure that that had happened?” Karl asked. “Clay and Sapnap don’t really argue, especially not enough for them to go outright avoiding each other. Occasionally they’ll not talk for a couple days, but not do that.”
“Yes it did happen. Don’t make this one of those situations where I sound insane.” I warned.

“Don’t worry, I won’t.” Karl reassured me. “What exactly would those two have fought about that would make Clay avoid us like the plague?”
“I’m not sure,” I responded. “But Sapnap said-” I paused when I looked over the brunette’s shoulder and saw Sapnap walking towards us. “Speak of the devil,” I murmured.

There was confusion in Karl’s eyes as I said that, before looking over his shoulder and seeing what I was talking about. “Hey Sapnap,” I greeted, “sorry about last night. Clay wanted to hang out, he took me for food and a movie and we fell asleep.”
“It’s understandable.” Sapnap responded, before saying a quick ‘hello’ to Karl.

“Can I talk to you about what I was planning on talking about last night now though. It is kind of urgent.” Sapnap did admittedly seem anxious, and I turned to Karl, giving him an apologetic look as I told him that we could hang out at lunch.

“What is it that you needed to talk to me about?” I asked the ravenette, before glancing around to make sure nobody was eavesdropping. But I was the only one who had a locker in this area so I knew that there wasn’t much need to worry.

“Uh right. I told you about the book yesterday, right?” Sapnap questioned, and I thought back to our talk after school yesterday before nodding. Sapnap continued. “He got that book ages ago, and whatever he writes in it. You might not believe me but whatever is...”
“Sapnap? What the hell are you doing here?” Our eyes widened as we spun around.

Clay was walking in this direction, and Sapnap muttered a swear word before crossing his arms. “Why does it matter what I am doing here? I thought you weren’t talking to me.”
“It matters because this is my locker and I don’t want you hanging around it.” The blond responded, before moving over to locker 403.

“Since when is it your locker?” Sapnap asked, a snarl appearing on his face. “Your locker is right beside mine in the main hall.”
“Yeah well I didn’t want to be next to you, backstabber. Yesterday I talked to Principal Phil and he said it was fine for me to move here and be next to my best friend George.”

“When did you do that?” I couldn’t help but pipe up, since with every second I was feeling more confused. “You were with me almost all day.” Clay clearly noticed what I was saying but for the moment he continued his conversation with Sapnap.

It seemed that the ravenette was pissed at this and he turned to storm off, white telling me that we would talk later as he did. Clay glared after Sapnap as he disappeared down the hallway, before turning and opening the locker beside mine. It surprised me to see all of Clay’s stuff already in there, although I doubt he’d have had time to move everything over.

“What is going on between you two!?” I growled angrily, “you two were best friends when I met you a week ago. Now, just over a week later, you and him seem to want each other dead!”
“What is going on is that Sapnap hates you. He wants you to stop hanging out with us,” Clay explained to me.

“Are you sure?” I asked him, “he doesn’t seem to hate me. And if he wanted me to stop then why didn’t he outright tell me?”
“He wanted to make me look bad. Ruin my reputation, get me kicked off the football team. You get it, right?” Clay’s face was filled with sorrow as I spoke.

There was a moment of silence between the two of us. A solemn look on Clay’s face, and a confused look on mine. “How do you know?” I asked him. “Why would he hate me, why would he want to ruin your reputation?”
“That doesn’t matter. Just know that I’d never lie to you… right?”

I’d never lie to you… right?
“Well of course not.” I said, sounding worried about him making the accusation. “You haven’t lied to me before, right?” The blond seemed relieved at my words.
“Right.” He responded, before slamming his locker door shut.

“So,” Clay continued as we walked, “are you going to be coming to the football game tonight?”
“Maybe,” I responded with a shrug. “But in all honesty I’ve been in America for three years and have never really found it interesting. No offence.”
“I am going to be playing and could get you front row seats.” The blond tried to convince me.

He gave me a look which I think was meant to make me pity him, and it did. I let out a chuckle which made his expression change again to that of an excited puppy. “Does the laugh mean that you’ll go?” He wondered excitedly, and I nodded.
“Sure, I’ll go.” I decided, and his smile continued to widen.

“That’s great.” Clay said excitedly, before the bell rang and his expression faltered slightly. “I have to get changed for gym,” he explained, “but I’ll see you in history next period, right?”
“Obviously.” I smiled, but once he turned around my smile faltered as well.

Something felt weird about what was going on. Thankfully though, I shared this period with Sapnap, even if we sat on different sides of the classroom I might get the chance to ask him about what is going on.
_________________________________________
1088 words