Chapter 17: horror

George POV.

The horror movie started off slow, kinda boring actually since I remember watching this back in Texas a little over a year ago. It was actually quite fun, I remembered a good chunk of the plot and just spent the first twenty minutes or so watching as the events unfolded. The group had chosen to watch the first Conjuring film, which was part of one of my favourite horror franchises.

I remember last halloween my parents were away and so I entertained myself with a movie marathon of a series of horror films. It was a tradition I started three or four years ago. My parents almost always worked on Halloween, and since they didn’t want me wandering around trick or treating when they were away I always stayed home.

My first year that my parents trusted me to spend the night without a babysitter I found myself feeling bored and looking for a movie on Netflix. Eventually I found out a bunch of the Halloween movies, the movies about Michael Myers. I decided to run to the store across the street and buy 20 bucks worth of junk food and it became a tradition ever since.

Back on the screen all of the main characters, the Perrons and the Warrens, were about to meet up. I remembered this part in the film. Two of the kids in the Perron family were being traumatised by the main ghost in the film, and I could tell some of the other guys were feeling on edge.

Clay leaned over and rested his head on my shoulder playfully. “What do you want?” I questioned quietly, turning my attention away from the screen.
“Just wanted to tell you that if you get scared I can protect you.” He hummed, and I rolled my eyes at him as I pushed him off.

“I think that I’ll be fine, Clay.” I reassured him, “I can probably go longer without getting scared than you can. So maybe I should offer to let you cuddle up to me so I can protect you.”
“I am perfectly fine with that.” The blond smirked, and attempted to lean on me before I pushed him off again.

“I was being sarcastic.” I told him as I settled back into my seat, and Clay seemed disappointed but didn’t say anything. About ten minutes further into the movie it was starting to get tense, the entire group was nervous and I was just sitting there quietly.

Everyone was stiff as they stared at the screen, before there was a knock on the door, not inside the movie but the actual door to Sapnap’s house, and the group freaked out. Sapnap, Wilbur, and Clay all jolted, and Quackity and Karl both yelped.

I chuckled at them all as I stood up. “Are you guys okay?” I asked. “It’s just the pizza guy. Damn you are more pussies than I thought.”
I walked over to the door and pulled some money out of my pocket so I’d be able to pay. When I opened the door I smiled at the woman who was holding the pizza box.

She read out the order to make sure she got it right and then I paid her, letting her keep the change as her tip. She thanked me and wished me a good day before walking back towards the car. I smiled as I managed to shut the door, which was difficult since my hands were full. However I suddenly felt the weight being lifted, and turned to see Clay there.

“Thanks.” I murmured as he was holding two of the pizza boxes along with the chips, hash browns, and onion rings that Sapnap had also ordered.
He smiled at me as the two of us walked back into the living room where the group had rearranged themselves, with Sapnap hiding behind Karl, his arms wrapped around the brunette.

I chuckled as I set most of the pizza boxes down in front of the four of them, carrying one up to sit beside me so I could snack on the food. Clay did the same thing, bringing up one of the boxes of pizza and sitting it on his lap as he settled into the seat next to me. We also had a half eaten box of Thai food between us that we had been sharing.

By the time that the movie was over, and the one that Wilbur chose after that was over too, all of us were nearly asleep. Karl had fallen asleep at the end of the first movie, he was leaning against Sapnap, and the ravenette didn’t seem to have the heart to move. Sapnap had leaned Karl down so the brunette was using the ravenette’s lap as a pillow.

Wilbur was also close to sleep. His eyes struggled to stay open and focused on the screen. He was laying back with his head on some pillows and staring at the ceiling. Quackity was slightly better off, and so was Sapnap. They were sitting up straight with their attention on the screen, while Quackity was choosing a third movie.

Clay also seemed wide awake. He was resting on one end of the couch writing in that weird notebook of his. There was a lamp behind him, meaning that he could see what he was doing, and part of me was curious. At least once everyday I’ve seen him, he’s been writing in it.

I mean it is normal for people to have something to write in. A notebook, or a journal, or a diary, but it didn’t feel like that was it. Part of me wanted to just rip it out of his hands and read it, but I knew it wouldn’t be a good thing. Clay seemed to keep it concealed. It didn’t seem like any of his friends knew what he was writing, which only made my curiosity grow.

However, it was getting late. It was past midnight, and I didn’t know the exact time since there was no clock in the room and I couldn’t be bothered turning my phone on. After all I knew I was so tired the brightness from the screen would hurt my eyes. So I let out a sigh and that was followed shortly after by a yawn.

None of the group, at least the parts of the group that were still awake, seemed to notice or care. Quackity and Sapnap were both too focused on the screen, and busy snacking on some of the pizza we had ordered hours ago, which was probably cold by now. Wilbur seemed to have lost the battle of staying awake and had fallen asleep just like Karl.

My tired eyes trailed over to look at Clay, who didn’t seem tired at all as he continued to write. He didn’t move his gaze off of the pages, a small smile tugged at his lips. I felt like he was watching me out of the corner of his eyes but at the moment I didn’t care.

I shut my eyes and settled into the warmth of the couch, pulling one of the blankets that had been littered around everywhere, over my chest to keep me warm. I don’t remember much of what happened after that, but I found myself falling asleep.
_________________________________________
1225 words