Chapter 49: Confronting

Clay POV.

After standing around cautiously for a few moments, trying to figure out what I wanted to say and do, I knocked on the door of the Davidson’s home. The car was in the driveway and lights were on, I knew that they were home, or at least that somebody was home. I shuffled backwards so that if the door opened I wouldn’t get hit, and sure enough it did open.

“Good evening, can I help you?” A man asked when he opened the door. He looked a lot like George, same hair shape and colour, and same body shape, same smile, a lot was the same, once you’ve added twenty to twenty-five years.

“Yeah, hello.” I smiled. “My name is Clay and I am a friend of George’s, I think you and I met for a little while a couple of weeks ago on his second day of school.”
“Yes I remember you.” The man smiled, and his grin was almost identical to what George’s looked like. “What would you like, Clay?”

As he spoke I glanced over his shoulder, hoping to see a glance of George somewhere in the house, although all I could see was the kitchen and the hallway leading to the bedrooms. The only movement in either of those was George’s mother. “I was wondering if George was home. He was seeming kind of… off at school so I wanted to check if he was alright.”

There was a solemn look on Mr Davidson’s face. “He seemed fine when he got home. Currently he is at a friend's house. I don’t know whose.” My first thought was that it was Sapnap’s house that George had gone to. That or Bad and Karl would be just as possible.

However, then I thought that maybe George had told his parents that he didn’t want to see me, for whatever reason that was. “Are you sure he was going out to see a friend?” I asked him, “I remember most of our friends are sick. There is a stomach flu going around.” I lied easily, barely reacting and it seemed as though the man standing opposite me believed me.

“Well, I was just told that he was going to visit his friends. I don’t know which ones, but George definitely isn’t sick.” The man backtracked. “He seemed fine when he got home, in fact he was late home. He told us he got detention and then that he was going to visit his friends for a movie.” This was also a lie, although unlike my lie you could easily tell what it was.

Just to be safe, I pulled my pocketbook out from the pocket in my hoodie and flipped it open to a random page, occasionally glancing up at the man who seemed confused. When I slammed the book shut I met his eyes. “So, is George home? The two of us wanted to do some homework for history class before camp next week.”

There was a nod from the man. “Yes, George has not left his room since he got home from school. He’s in there right now.”
“May I go and see him please?” I continued with the innocent, unknowing tone while not moving my gaze away from his blue eyes.

“He doesn’t want you to see him.” The man stated, standing firm in the doorway but that just caused me to get slightly annoyed.
“May I go and see him please?” I repeated, my tone being a lot more firm and the man instantly nodded, his eyes dim and looking lifeless as he complied with what I wrote.

“You can go and see him. I assume you know where his room is.” The man stood to the side and I gave him a nod of thanks as I walked past. George’s mother was in the kitchen but she didn’t even make eye contact, as though she didn’t know I existed.

Wanting to be polite I knocked on his door, before immediately hearing the sound of shuffling from the other side of it. “Mum is that you?” He asked, but I didn’t answer, since I knew he’d refuse to even look at me if I told him I was there. Sure enough, the brunette’s footsteps made their way towards the door.

He opened the door and we made eye contact for a brief moment. The expression in his face flipped from confused to annoyed and without saying anything he attempted to shut the door, but I stopped him. “George, can we please talk. Why are you mad at me?” I asked, pushing his door back open and stepping into the room.

“Go away Clay, I don't want to talk to you.” George responded, crossing his arms and refusing to make eye contact with me.
“What did I even do?” I questioned. “You told me to leave on Saturday and then you avoid me. You don’t take my calls, you move seats in class. You can’t just ignore me like this!”

“Surely you know what you are doing since you continue to do it.” The brunette stated, crossing his arms with a glare. “Now get out before I call the police for breaking and entering!”
“I haven’t broken into anything.” I reassured him.
“Then trespassing. I don’t know, leave me alone!” He dropped onto his bed in a fit of frustration.

“Your parents let me in, George. It wasn’t at all trespassing.” At the mention of his parents, the Brit started to absolutely freak out.
“Why would my parents let you in when I told them not to. What did you do to them!?”
“Nothing,” I promised him.

“Now, why are you ignoring me? Is it because of the fact we have sex? I heard that people give others the silent treatment if they didn't enjoy it.”
The brunette shook his head. “That’s not the reason. I didn’t hate the sex.”
“So what was it?” I questioned. “If you enjoyed the sex what was it?”

“Who knows? Maybe it is the book that you have!” He snapped at me, standing upright with his entire body tense and his face contorted into an expression of anger. “The book that you can use to make anyone think or do anything! To get yourself good grades or make yourself popular!”

I was slightly taken aback by his words. I had forgotten the fact that I had told him. He had seemed close to Sapnap, so maybe Sapnap also told him. “I-I don’t understand. It doesn’t make sense” I said quietly. “Why would you hate me?”
“Are you an idiot? Just look at you!” George practically screamed.

When I stared at him blankly, confused as to what he was talking about I continued. “You are a psychopath! You manipulate people to get what you want! You don’t seem to have any empathy or remorse about it either! Have you ever done anything in your life on your own or is everything a result of that stupid book!”

Tears were close to pricking my eyes, but I managed to hold them back. “I didn’t use the book to get you. Everything that happened between us was genuine.”
“Are you sure?” George asked, “because it feels like I was manipulated into feeling something for you.”

There was a moment of silence as George took several deep breaths. “Can I ask you something Clay?” He asked quietly. “Can I ask you something without you lying?”
I hoped that maybe the question would be good, so I gave a nod. “You can ask me anything you want.” I said, a hopeful smile wanting to appear on my face.

“Did I get detention on my first day?” He asked. “Did you, Wilbur, and I all get detention from Mrs Rogers, or was it all my imagination?”
“Well-” I hesitated. It made me feel bad, lying to him, and so I eventually gave a nod. “Yeah, you got detention with Wilbur and I.”

“God,” George let out a sob, and I stepped forward to comfort him before freezing. “I thought that I could trust you Clay. You made me think I was insane! I was going to ask for therapy and-”
“I’m sorry,” I muttered, but George pushed me against the wall, his eyes full of fury.
“Sorry doesn’t cut it.”

Without another word to me he walked out of his bedroom and I heard the front door of his house open before slamming shut, leaving me standing confused in his bedroom. Also feeling worried about what was happening.
_________________________________________
1428 words