Chapter 63: Nature walk

Okay, so chapter names aren't that creative at the moment.
_________________________________________
Clay POV.

There seems to have been a truce made between George and I… at least temporarily. We made and ate breakfast together, and talked about how it tasted and how we usually liked porridge.

Okay so it wasn’t a big improvement from the silent treatment because it was only a conversation about porridge but I was hoping it was a step in the right direction. We also had somewhat of a conversation with Techno, Wilbur, and Karl, about what we thought the activities we were going to do today were.

Apparently we were going to be fishing after lunch, and then we will clean and gut the fish before cooking it for dinner. At least that is what Techno and Wilbur told us. I was perfectly fine with doing that, but George and Karl both seemed slightly less enthusiastic. Sapnap was just glaring at me from beside Karl so I didn’t know how he was feeling about this.

After breakfast our truce continued, working together to clean up our mess and then organising our tent together while passing some comments back and forth between the two of us. Then I left to let him get changed in peace before returning once he had finished changing to change myself.

By the time I was finished the camp counsellors and the pair of history teachers were rounding students up, telling them what we were going to be doing today. Once they had the group they told us we were going on a nature walk this morning and the camp counsellor Aaron said that he’d tell us about different legends from around this area.

Then he went on to state we’d have sandwiches for lunch (the absolutely iconic food associated with Native Americans), before spending the afternoon fishing for dinner. Most of the student body didn’t seem enthusiastic at all, and slowly returned to their tents to finish getting ready.

George, who had at the time been standing beside me, wandered off to talk with Sapnap and Karl by their tent. I wondered what it was they were talking about, but occasionally I did see one of them motion over at me, or glance in my direction. So obviously I was the focus of their conversation. I’m still not sure if that is a good thing or not though.

Techno and Wilbur sat beside me and I was in a conversation with the two of them, talking about how we thought the rest of our friend group was going back at school. The main thing we were joking about was how Bad had probably gone insane from having to deal with both Skeppy and Quackity on his own.

I was feeling grateful that even though Sapnap and George were mad at me, and they had pretty much talked Karl into being mad at me, Wilbur and Techno still did talk to me. This trip would have been hell if they weren’t talking to me either. The thought made me smile as the pair were playfully guessing how Philza was putting up with Tommy.

That was why, when the group had gathered up again and were heading down a trail for a long, gruelling nature walk, I decided to hang around them. We walked near the back of the group, being wary not to step off the path which was quite easy to see from many years of carrying foot traffic having worn away any plants in our way.

The only people who were behind us were the troublemakers, that included Schlatt and I couldn’t tell who he hated more. It might have been me or Wilbur, but I could definitely feel him glaring into the back of my skull. It honestly felt like he was planning my murder, but Mrs Rogers was behind him so I knew he wouldn’t dare.

We could barely hear as the counsellor told us a range of legends that came from around the area. I lost focus around the time he told us the legend of creation from one of the bigger tribes that were in the area a couple hundred years ago, instead letting my gaze look over at the few animals and birds that were around.