Chapter 45: avoiding

George POV.

It was hard to stop my body from shaking as I walked through the hallway to my locker. Sapnap was standing beside me and he tried several times to start up a conversation with me to ease the tension but nothing he said worked. I simply stepped in front of my locker and began going through my things.

My first period was coding, one where I had to sit directly beside Clay, and in some cases the two of us had been working together for small projects, so seeing him was unavoidable. This entire weekend he has sent messages asking me if I wanted to hang out, or go out to eat, or play some minecraft, but I’ve been coming up with excuses every time he asks.

Sapnap and I had been talking the entire weekend, I even spent the night with him on Saturday, with the ravenette talking about everything that the blond had done that he knew of. There were mainly simple things such as making sure he always got to pass tests, or that he could be the captain or president of every club he wanted to be in.

Along with that however, there were some instances of Clay doing something major, he got a student to move to another country, or he put Sapnap up a couple of grades so they could be in the same classes at school. Thankfully though, Sapnap told me he couldn’t do something as drastic as killing someone, so if he was pissed at us then he couldn’t kill one of us.

I felt a little bit more comfortable, knowing that there were limitations so he couldn’t make himself into someone with the powers of Superman that could crush anyone who annoys him with one of his fingers.

“I’m worried Sapnap,” I said quietly, sending him a glance. “What if he gets mad and tries to hurt one of us, or our friends and family. I feel bad that I’m ignoring him but he can’t keep doing this. I promised him I wouldn’t get mad at him, but I just… I don’t know… I want to yell at him sometimes.”

“It’s fine George. If avoiding him is too difficult you can just avoid mentioning it.” He said quietly.
“What about the camp next week! He and I are partners! What if he ends up trying something?” I asked, and the ravenette began reassuring me that Clay wouldn’t do anything to hurt me. Saying that even if he was pissed most of the time he was all bark and no bite a lot of the time.

Just as I slammed the door of my locker, I heard Clay’s eager voice calling out to me as he walked over, but then he noticed Sapnap. “What are you doing here?” He asked in a pissed off tone while glaring at his ex-best friend.

“I am allowed to be here.” Sapnap stated. “This is a public area and I am hanging around with my friend. Is there a problem with that?”
“We aren’t your friends,” Clay answered coldly, walking to stand in between myself and Sapnap, but I lightly pushed him away from me as I stepped back towards the ravenette.

“Clay it’s fine.” I told him as he gave me a confused look. “Sapnap is my friend, no matter what petty fight the two of you got into.” Clay didn’t say anything, although his expression showed hurt that I actually stood up for Sapnap, who committed the ‘oh so terrible’ crime of thinking that Clay was a bad person, which he was.

At his expression I sighed, seeing that he was too childish to actually see what he was doing was wrong. In a way he was like a toddler, and I wasn’t going to hang around him if that was how he was acting. “I need to get to class,” I muttered quietly, pushing past Clay and heading towards the coding class.

Although I could practically feel Clay’s gaze on me, and possibly Sapnap’s gaze too, I refused to look over my shoulder, since I didn’t want to seem as terrified as I felt. Although the ravenette had told me that Clay wouldn’t hurt me because the book wouldn’t let him, I still was absolutely terrified.

I mean, Clay might not hurt either of us himself, but he could write in the book that everyone else at school hated Sapnap, then surely the ravenette would pick up a couple of bullies who’d give him more than enough bruises. Or the blond might not be able to write that we become a couple, but he could write that the rest of the school pressures us (or me) to become one.

If I went against Clay he could probably do anything he wanted to me, or to anyone else, no matter what Sapnap said. “George!” Clay called out, “wait up we have the same class!” Once again I ignored him, and although the blond was calling for me he didn’t seem to be running after me, and I was grateful for that.

The bell rang a couple of minutes later, and I had gotten settled in my seat. Mr Richardson, the teacher, was the first person alongside me to get into the room. He was usually stone cold, but took his time to greet me with a ‘morning Mr Davidson, how was your weekend?’
I responded telling him that it was eventful and then I didn’t elaborate from there.

Moments later Clay entered the room, and walked over to the seat beside mine, sitting down in his normal seat besides me. I just stared straight ahead at the computer screen which I was powering up to check my emails and open what I needed for the lesson.

“George. I’m sorry for what happened earlier,” the blond said as he looked at my pissed off expression. “Is there anything I can do to fix it? Because I will do anything in my power to fix whatever happened.” Anything in the book's power is more like.
“There is nothing you can do,” I told him, still refusing to make eye contact.

“Surely there is something,” the blond continued, still pressing on to try and get me to talk to him. “I will do anything. Please, did I do something wrong?”
“Hmm, I don’t know. Did you?” I questioned sarcastically, finally turning to glare at him. “Did you do something Clay?”

“Yes?” He spoke worriedly, with a look in his eyes that made it clear that he didn’t think he was guilty of anything. To show that he didn’t think he did anything he added on, “I think I did something wrong?” I continued to glare, which caused Clay to go into full apology mode. Before he had finished a whole sentence however I cut him off.

“Save it Clay. You clearly don’t mean it if you don’t even know what the fuck you are apologising for.” I crossed my arms, before standing up to move desks. I walked over to a girl with dark grey eyes and blond plaits who had just sat down on the other side of the classroom and tapped her lightly on the shoulder.

“Excuse me,” I said politely, “you didn’t hear this from me but Clay has a crush on you.” At my words both me and her glanced over to look at the blond who had a confused expression on his face. The girl glanced back at me and lightly blushed.
“Really?” She asked in a quiet and tentative voice, and I nodded in confirmation.

“Yeah, he wanted me to ask you if you wanted to sit next to him. Between you and me he is a little bit shy.” I said with a smile, which made her blush even more. To finish off I told her, “he’s liked you for ages, always telling me how cute he thought you were.”

She stood up with a small smile and blush clear on her face, before walking over to sit beside Clay, who seemed confused. I did feel bad for lying to that girl, but I just sat down in her spot and logged onto my account on the new computer.

From the reflection on the screen I could see the girl trying to chat with Clay while the blond boy tried to be polite, but he kept glancing at me the entire time. I continued to ignore him while class started, and throughout the entire thing.
_________________________________________
1557 words

There was a clear winner in the top 3 options for stories, with the difference between 3rd and 4th being 10 votes. Today we are going to narrow those down to one.

If you want reminders of them the blurbs are in the last part I released yesterday.

The options are:

          (Option 1)
👮🏻  •  King of the Cell (DNF prison AU)

          (Option 4)
🧜🏻‍♂️  •  Safety in the Seafoam (DNF + Karlnap mermaid AU)

          (Option 7)
🔪  •  Shot in Love and Crime (DNF mafia AU)

And as a reminder (because I always need to remind people of this). Antiheroes is going to be my next story since people have already voted for it. All of the stories that I allowed you to vote for will probably be written eventually. It's just which ones you guys want to see first.