Shadow Play

Letting out a soft sigh, Jiang leaned forward, setting her elbows on her thighs. "I'm so excited! I haven't been to the movies in ages!" MK cried out, making Jiang and Pigsy look at him. "Uh, kid? This ain't a cinema" Pigsy told him.

"It's a shadow play, with puppets" Tang added. Jiang giggled at the look on MK's face. "Wah? Puppets? No! I thought we were seeing Kong Fu Monkey Cop the movie!" He cried.

"Uh, check the back" Mei said. MK groaned as he saw the shadow play ad. Jiang smiled, then, she spotted someone that made her stiffen and drop the smile.

"What's wrong?" MK asked. Jiang nodded her head in the person's direction. "Check it out. It's the guy who gave us the weird key" she said.

"You mean the magic key that could unlock anything? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is him. And I'm also pretty sure that he's still not actually the mayor" Mei said. The person turned their head like it was turning on rusty gears, and then slowly moved their arm in a wave that kept stopping. "Hellooo~" their said in a weird voice.

"That's not creepy at all" Tang said, Jiang nodding in  agreement. "Point is, whatever we're watching, you two earned a break kids" Pigsy said. "You guys have been training super hard. I can't even remember the last time we all just, hung out together. I miss this" Mei said.

"So, was Sandy just busy? Orr-" Tang said before he was cut off. "What are you talking about? We hang out all the time" MK said to Mei. "Nuh uh girlfriends. It's always Monkey King those or some scary skeleton thing that with you two lately" she said.

"You guys wrote off checkers night yesterday because you both had to study. Study what, I might ask?" Tang said. "Okay! Okay! We get it! It's just, Monkey King said..." MK said trailing off. "It's just, me and MK need to be ready" Jiang said for him.

"Ready for what?" Pigsy asked. Jiang was glad when the entire place dimmed down, signalling the show was about to start. She turned her attention to the stage, but was quickly distracted by shadows that seemed to scurry around them, all heading for the stage.

There, a creepy doll hung from wires, and then, it turned it's face towards the people that were there. Then, the curtains drew back to reveal a cloaked figure who had their hood drawn up. "Welcome viewers, to a shadow play, the likes of which have never been seen" he said, holding up a glowing lantern that seemed to float between his hands.

"It follows the tragic tale of a legendary warrior, and how those who bring light into this world, inevitably bring darkness to those they hold dear" he said. The shadows that were casted on the wall behind him showed a figure being overcome by darkness. "Mei, I just realized something" MK whispered.

"What?" Mei whispered back. "I. I don't have snacks!" MK said, making Jiang facepalm. "Kid, relax. We literally just ate" Pigsy said.

"Must get snacks!" MK said before he darted off. Jiang sighed. "I swear, he's got undiagnosed ADHD or something like" she muttered before turning her full attention back to the play.

The story hadn't even really started, and yet, she was already captivated. The way the puppeteer chose his words, not to mention the moving shadows that were casted upon the wall, it was all enough to draw her in. "Like light, heroes bring warmth, hope, and friendship" he said.

The lantern glowed even brighter. "But also give life to the darkness" the puppeteer said as the glow dimmed down. Jiang was too captivated to notice that her friends were missing.

Then, she let out a sigh as MK came in, holding a bunch of things. "Sorry, sorry, sorry" he said as he came back over to her. "Bro, we really gotta work on a bunch of things when this is over" she muttered.