Chapter Twenty-Four

AN: Sorry for taking so long, but I lost my internet and my phone was being super weird! Anyways, I found everything again and yay! So now I've fixed everything and it's all back to normal. Remember the competition is still up! See you later my Sillies! Kisses!

[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]

Building

Grandma Pinako sat us down and looked at Ed's leg. "Yeah." she grunted, "That needs adjusting too."

"He's gotten taller hasn't he?" I asked, and he blushed a deep pinkish color.

"We need three new arms and adjustments to your leg..." Grandma Pinako said deep in thought.

"Can it be done in a week or so?" Ed asked.

"Give us some credit boy!" She said, looking up at us. "Four days!" She took Ed's leg off and let Winry tinker with it, as she pulled out a new one. "Do with this one as a spare for now."

Ed nodded and stood up, helping re-adjust me so I didn't fall over without his support. When he got up, he stumbled around a bit, but caught himself.

"It's hard to walk on a leg you aren't used to..." He said.

"Don't worry, we'll be done before you're used to that old thing." Pinako smiled at us.

"That being said..." Winry stood up from her corner, Ed's leg draped over her shoulder. "Between making the arms, adjusting, fitting, and finishing them... I'll be pulling all-nighters..."

"We're sorry to ask so much from you." I said a little timidly.

She turned around. "You want to get to Central as soon as you can, right? I'll overwork myself for you guys! But in return... You're going to pay a bundle in rush-order fees!"

I laughed, and Armstrong went out to split some wood. Of course the act involved his shirt being off, and he just had to use his fist.

A little while later, Ed, and I went to visit his Mother's grave, with Winry's dog, Den trailing behind us, holding the bouquet of flowers. We passed many familiar faces who all waved hello to us.

When we got there, we looked down, and I looked at Ed. "This is it..."

"Yeah." he said. Sorrow was clearly displayed on his face and I could do nothing but hang my head.

Sunset came, and the sky turned a beautiful and warm orange. A gust of gentle wind blew our hair and cloaks. Ed looked as though he remembered something and looked up at a hill in the distance.

"What is it?" I asked, but he just shook his head, and returned his attention to the grave.

I hated to ask this question, but an uncomfortable pause came over us. "Hey Edward..."

"Hm?"

"I don't want to be nosey, but... Where are Winry's parents?" I braced myself for anger, but he just sighed.

"They both died in the Ishvalan Civil War. Her parents were both surgeons, and they went off together, as doctors were desperately needed."

"What was the Ishvalan War?" I'd heard a lot about it, but I was still confused.

"A terrible war, Rachel. A very terrible war."

"What happened to your house?"

"We stay with Granny. After our mother's death, we needed to move on, to forget that time of our life. So we burned it to the ground, along with our old lives. We were never going to turn back."

"Oh." We were then overcome with silence, soon broken off by the dog's whine.

Ed smiled softly down at the dog. "Guess we should be heading back. Don't want to make everyone wait."

[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]

We came back in to be greeted by a blubbering Armstrong. "Edward Elric!" He sobbed and squeezed him. "Such immaculate love, to attempt bringing your mother back to life! Such tremendous love, to be willing to give up your own life to Transmute your brother's soul! Such dreadful determination, to burn down the home that held so many precious memories, to cut off any retreat! Let me at least offer you this embrace!"

And off came the sobbing man's shirt. He squeezed Edward again, to the point where he was gasping for air.

[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]

I slept in Winry's room, but it felt weird going to sleep without saying goodnight to the boys first. I gave them each a kiss on the head and retreated into Winry's room, where she was hard at work.

It was hard to sleep with all the noise coming from her workroom, which was next door. I would find myself sleeping for a couple of hours at a time, only to be awoken by a power drill or something else.

Once I was awoken by the sound of Ed limping down the hall. I heard them talking and decided to poke my head in.

"...working on it so early!" Ed was saying.

"Nope. I've been working all night." she replied.

"Yeah," I said with a yawn. "she's pretty amazing."

[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]

The next night, this happened again, and one of my arms was nearly finished, as she'd been working all night. We fidgeted all around her, and her eyebrows kept twitching in frustration. Eventually, she grabbed his braid and tossed him into me, knocking us both down.

"Keep out!" She said and slammed the door.

Ed scoffed and stood up, running his head, and I did a sit-up and rolled myself up. My core and leg muscles were becoming pretty strong because of this. I walked him back to his room, and Al was there, propped up against the wall.

"I guess she does need time to work. She hasn't even had time to come down for food..." I said.

We'd been bringing her food up to her room, and she's only had two hours of sleep each day, while Grandma Pinako took over. I'm not even sure if she's taken a bath yet. I made sure to apologize the next day.

[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]|[•]

Alrighty my Sillies! That was that! I know it was a weird place to end but this was getting a little long...

School is SUPER hard and homework is piling up waaay too fast! I promise when it's over I will publish a lot more. But for now, I don't know... It's up to you... Do you want me to stop until summer or should I keep going (updates will take a while)?

Remember that completion is still up and I would love if I got more entrees!

Anyways, I love you all! Kisses!