Stranded

"Come on, shit. Please start, please start.."
I groaned, my head falling back against the drivers seat as I close my eyes, hoping this is just some cruel dream.
I tried turning the key once more as my car's engine make a small rumble before dying out again.
"This can not be happening right now"
The sun was setting, and any other cars that had parked by the trail had left by now. So much for a nice hike to help me relax.
I step out of my car, deciding to go along the path to see if there was anyone around that could help me.
Collecting myself, I made my way back into the woods.

I let myself calm down, taking in the smell of pine and fresh air. This really was my favorite place to come and take my mind off things. It was an hour or two from the city so it felt like a break from all the chaos.
Right now I was really wishing it wasn't that far.
The sun started setting and I knew if I didn't find anyone soon, I would be stuck sleeping in my car tonight.
The warm orange and reds of the sunset poked through the trees as I went faster.
I almost thought I imagined it when I heard branches snapping in the distance. I froze, trying to figure out where it was coming from. Part of me worried it was some animal, but I was able to relax as I could make out quiet voices as well.

"Thank god" I sigh
I start walking through the trees in the direction of the noise. I have to maneuver myself around the thick logs and bushes as I try and track down the group.
I couldn't exactly pin down where the people were, the noises seem closer at one moment but distant the next.
It was getting darker so I had to be careful not to trip as I searched for help. I found myself panicking as I could barely hear anything anymore. The trial was no longer anywhere near, and I started going in all different directions, hoping to find the people again or at least get back on the path.

The sun had completely set now, and after what felt like an hour of walking around aimlessly I found nothing.
The temperature started to drop without the sun, and my leggings and little tank top wasn't enough to keep me warm.
I sat down against the stump of a massive tree, taking a break before I went out looking for the trail again.
I held my knees to my chest to try and stay warm while I thought about how idiotic it was to stray so far from the path in the first place.
"How the fuck did I get myself into this mess"
Shit. Are there bears in this forest?
My eyes open as I realized I have a bigger problem than being lost... I'm not alone out here.
There's probably tons of animals lurking around in the dark.
The thought of being watched by a waiting predator sends chills over me
I got up slowly, trying to be quiet as I searched for a safer spot. With nothing but trees around, I decided it was probably best for me to climb up one and get out of reach.
I found one with branches I could reach, and tried to pull myself up.
I huffed, plopping down on the ground after numerous unsuccessful attempts.
I tried wrapping myself around the truck, and pulling my body up but it was useless.
God I really wish I had taken those climbing lessons I got for Christmas last year
I decided it was best to conserve my energy, so I found a large stick and sat down again.
As if some stick is totally going to protect me if something tries to attack me.
I took some deep breaths, closing my eyes to rest.
The sounds of the crickets chirping and slight rustle of leaves when a breeze goes by is actually pretty calming.
Well, at least until I remember I'm stranded in the forest at night.
I hear the sound of leaves crunching softly, making me stand up in high alert.
Oh fuck-please don't be a bear
I try and hold my breath, standing like a statue to try and not cause any attention to me. I grip my stick tightly as the sound starts to get closer.
My eyes scan the area around me, searching for whatever creature is nearing me.
Eventually, I make out a fox as it peeks out of the shadows.
I let out the breath I was holding, almost laughing to myself at how scared I was over a fox.
I snap out of it when I hear the fox start to growl lowly, approaching me.
I don't find the situation as amusing now, slowly backing away from it as it keep stepping closer.
"No- no. Get away, no" I start speaking as if it would understand.
It bared its sharp teeth at me and that was enough to get me to start running the opposite direction.
I can hear it following as I start to run as fast as I can. I weave through the trees, cutting my shoulder on one of the low hanging branches.
I let out a hiss at the sting but keep going.
I look back behind me, not seeing the thing after me anymore.
Relief washes over me only to be ripped away as I trip over a tree root, falling straight into a solid tree trunk.