62: The Pack

I thought it would be impossible for anyone to beat us to locker room bunker in the woods, until I saw the rows of motorcycles and dirt bikes parked among the trees. It seemed like most of the shifters in the pack could be mistaken to the outside world as a biker gang. I'd have to remember to have Dmitri teach me how to ride one on my own if I managed to survive through the night. Without a wolf of my own, I didn't know if I could form a link with the pack. How was I supposed to accept anyone's pledge of loyalty or challenge for that matter if I couldn't communicate with them?

I could feel the moon, as it lifted into the darkening sky, beckoning my body to shift the same way they did. But I didn't have a second consciousness, at least not the same way they all did. Mine wasn't constant; I could feel her just out of reach, but she only seemed to commune with me when it suited her. Dmitri and I had tried a few times last night to link together through his bond to me, but nothing.

Dmitri squeezed my hand, "Breathe, Princess," his warm reassuring smile did little to slow the anxious rhythm of my heart. "You were born for this." I squeezed his hand back as he helped me climb out of the SUV. "You'd heard me while you were shifting," he reminded me, "the rest will come in time."

We made our way through the trees to the clearing that I'd spent more time in my dreams in than physically. Instead of the wide open space I remembered, I saw a sea of people in several stages of undress. I knew this was one of the largest packs, but actually seeing the number of shifters gathered in one place was jarring, and more were still arriving. There were more women than I thought there would be, making me feel less self aware.

I was led between the different clusters of groups by the hand. Nathan had already made his way to the gathered enforcers in the center as soon as the engine had cut off, but it was Blake that greeted us first. "Alphas!" his cheery voice seemed to carry over the din of the other conversations, drawing everyone's attention. "We expected you to be busy for a while and late to the party," he grinned from ear to ear as he looked us over.

"You know how that first go-around can have a rather abrupt end," Nathan teased him, making them chuckle.

"Well," I smiled up at Nate, batting my eyelashes, "If you have issues with stamina," I shrugged my shoulders. This time the laughs were directed at him and the shadow dancing in his eyes told me that he didn't appreciate it.

Dmitri cleared his throat, "I'd prefer to have the time to savor," they way he said the word sent a shiver up my spine, "all the delights my mate has to offer, properly and extensively." Many of them had already seen me stripped down to next to nothing, so it felt intrusive when they looked me over, letting their eyes settle on my curves.

They didn't get to stare for very long, as everyone's heads turned towards the sounds of the first whimper of pain across the meadow. The memory of my ribs snapping last night flooded my mind, sending a wave of panic through me. Dmitri's fingers tightened around mine on our still bound hands, but it did little to ease my fear. "It hurts less over time," he whispered in my ear, but winced at another nearby yelp.

My heart fluttered in my chest, like a bird trying to break free of its cage. It felt like I was dying last night, how much less pain could there be after one day? The lump in my throat was keeping me from gulping in the air my lungs demanded, and my eyes were losing focus. All I could hear was a soft buzzing noise that was growing louder.

"Holly shit!" Everyone seemed to jump back away from me.

I shook my head trying to clear the dizziness from my mind, finding it heavy. A deep breath brought me an amalgamation of scents that refused to blend together, highlighted by the strong smell of a heavy rain. I'd managed to shift instantaneously again.