8: Silence is Golden

He led the way through his suite all the way back into his bedroom. He eyed me warily as I immediately made my way to the velvet cushion in the corner and sat in my new formal resting position. Sophie had been right about everything that happened during their short negotiations this morning, so I figured it couldn't hurt to continue following her instructions. As long as I was sitting quietly, he was likely to forget that I was there and burry himself in his work.

Sniffing his shirt he made a face and chuckled, "Sophie's always right." He pulled the t-shirt off over his head, tossing it on the bed. "Can you be a good girl like she claims," he arched an eyebrow, "Or do I have to get you all wet again." I gave him a small shrug but kept a mask of indifference on my face. "Then at least make yourself useful and let them know to change out all of the bedding," he disappeared into the bathroom, partially closing the door.

After a minute or two, there was a soft knock at the main doors just before a busty blonde in a tight pink mini dress sauntered in through the rooms, an overly sweet smell billowing off her. "You called for me Alpha?" She looked around the room for him. When her eyes landed on me, her entire face contorted into a sneer, "You must be the little mutt bitch trying to take my place!"

Everything about her rubbed me the wrong way, but I couldn't figure out why. Sitting straighter, I smiled up at her as I fanned my nightgown out around me. "You'll have to change out all of the bedding," remembering the jab Sophie made at her brother I added, "If you'll have fresh linens brought up in a basket, I can see to it that the bed gets made without getting contaminated again." I tapped my nose and gave her a smirk.

"Why you mouthy little cunt!" she growled. "I don't take orders from you!"

"Have you forgotten your place in the pack hierarchy?" Dmitri appeared in the doorway behind her with only a towel around his waist. "Or do you think my orders are optional to follow just because you didn't personally hear them come from my lips?"

Her face fell as he spoke and she bowed her head slightly, exposing her neck in submission. "Of course I'm happy to fulfill any need you have, Alpha." She smiled sweetly, turning her face back up to his. Slinking up beside him she ran her hand over his bare chest, "Shall I come back tonight to prove just how much I'm willing to please you again?"

"No need," he brushed her hand away. "I just decided that I do need help washing my back right now though," he walked across the room ignoring her hopeful expression and lifted me up off the cushion. "I expect there to be clean bedding in a basket delivered today as Alexandria instructed of you." Cradling me in his arms, he stalked back into the bathroom. I don't know what possessed me to give her a grin as we moved past her, but her face turned a nice shade of crimson as it contorted again. With a sweep of his foot, he shut the door behind us.

Part of me felt a smug sense of satisfaction from the way he'd openly rejected Candice to her face. But another part of me wanted to jump down out of his arms and tell him to go back out there and swap her in my place. I had no desire to tie myself to this pack or give him an heir. She clearly wanted both of those things if she thought I was trying to take her place. It made me wonder; did he tie her up and treat her like a pet? Did she enjoy that kind of thing?

Setting me down outside the shower, he looked me over as if not sure what to think of me. Knowing more about what he could and could not do to me, I held his gaze, but I kept my mouth shut. "Hmm," he mused, "you can choose to either strip down or get your little dress wet. I'm going to enjoy the view either way." He hung the towel on a hook and stepped into the shower. Why couldn't he be ugly or at least horribly scarred and disfigured? After I hesitated to do anything he grinned at me. "You can get in here on your own or I can carry you," his grin shifted from amused to predatory, almost as if he preferred the later. Leaving the thin bit of cloth on, I stepped into the water, better to have the layer of protection even if it was translucent when it got wet.