something off

Something was quite not right.

"You've been looking a bit...off there bud." Mumbo had stopped placing his redstone as he peered over to his friends work. "Isn't this supposed to be your uh...bottom of the build?" He pointed at the big boulders center.

Grian let out a yelp, "oh you..haha, scared me." He swallowed the lump on his throat. "This uh, is just a sketch. I'm trying a new style, guess you don't like it huh..."

Mumbo's eyebrow flinched, "style my arse, bet you've been thinking of how to break in my vault." He tried to ease him.

"Darn, you've got me." Grian laughed, "suppose I need to change it now." He shook his head. Mumbo didn't believe his lies, it felt like grian was lying for his sake.

"Haha, yeah. You can't break in mate, you'll just fall down to your death again." Mumbo had almost jabbed him when grian had noticeably flinched.

Huh, mumbo thought, it seems to be a topic about death.

"Oh, I forgot to buy observers eugh. Wait for me here okay?" Mumbo had quickly flown off, leaving grian to his thoughts.

...

"Yeah, he seemed to not like the topic 'death'." Mumbo sat in scars factory.

"I see, have you...tried to sneakily ask him about it?" Scar put his shulker box down on the ever increasing chest monster.

"No." Mumbo's English accent thickened, "why would I? It'd be intrusive of me."

Scar smiled, "then you want me to. is that why you came?" He felt like a saint to mumbo right now.

"Yes!"

...

"Hello grian!" Scars voice echoed around the silent pranksters base.

"Scar..?" Grians voice was hoarse unlike earlier. Scar immediately ran to him, "...are...are you alright!?" He gave a quick pat of everything.

"I am...where's mumbo? Are you with him?" Scar shook his head, "he's still buying stuff, is everything alright?" He asked, still disturbed by grians weak figure.

"I...I didn't die." Scar shivered at grians oddly stoic voice.

"Why didn't I die?" He grasped at scars hem hopefully, "aren't I suppose to die?" He asked with eyes that gleam in expectation.

Scar held him up, "no!" He exclaimed.

"Grian– whatever this madness is, you aren't supposed to die!" Grian paused, "you think I'm suicidal!?" He yelled, kicking scar off. "I FELL OFF MY BRIDGE AND DOWN TO MY BEACON! I...I should be dead." He kneeled down, "WHY DIDN'T I DIE!?" he desperately asked, hopefully for some to answer.

"Calm down grian–!" Scar took a step back and fell; to the same hole grian did.

Whispers of old language swirled around but scar couldn't understand any; as he fell on the blinding light.

Scar finally fell, on the same beacon grian did. "...I didn't die?" He found himself also questioning the strange phenomenon.

"But i was so high up!" He stood quickly tilting his head up. "What the hell." He scrambled to a dead bush looking nether portal, from where the olden language had seemed to come.

"I told you." Grians stoic voice boomed around the cave, "we were supposed to die." He descended to scar.

"Grian– where are we, what– what is this!?"

"It's the rift."

"The rift?" Grian led scar closer to the rift, "and it's alive."

To scars horror, the rift had started to speak again.

The author has something to say; I'm so sorry! Reader who wanted that part 2, I'm working on it! I just need to focus on my studies for a bit okay? I'll be back!

It's a drabble ik, ik. Maybe a prompt? Idk.

Tho what r ur thoughts abt other fanfics? I'll be diving in another fandom for a bit before writing xelqua book 2 electric bogaloo.

Thanks for ur time.