17. 𝓑𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰

Dhwani missed her parents

Everyday.
Every night.
Every time she saw a family.

She longed to see her brother one last time.
Dhanush was Dhwani's everything. He was her world. She had felt guilty about being more sad about his demise than that of her parents.

Rehan reminded her of her brother. They both loved to pester her but loved her all the same.

She caressed the fragile jewellery in her hands. It was beautiful. The intricate temple work and the gems made it look ethereal.
But what made it special was the love in the gesture.

This was her life long wish.
To feel a mother's love again. Even if Gayathri maa was not with them , her memories and the story she left behind still shined bright. And Dhwani felt special everytime she looked at that necklace.

But again it was accompanied by the darkness of guilt. She didn't deserve such a considerate present.
Afterall she was the one who wanted a divorce. She was the person whose heart felt a stabbing pain everytime Veer looked at her with betrayal.

Still , Dhwani will not back out.
Even if it breaks her heart , she was going to do what is right for both of them.

A single tear flowed down her red cheeks.

Dhwani had always dreamed of becoming a mother. Because for her , motherhood was divine.
She grew up seeing her mother's face glow whenever she and her brother was with her and she wanted to feel that kind of happiness. That assurance that whatever happens in the future , she will always have a person to love.

But destiny is cruel. Especially to her.

Dhwani heaved a sigh.

"Jiji...." Mahi called out in a sing song voice.

I quickly wiped my tears away and kept the box aside.

I turned towards them with a smile.

A person can hide even the most broken heart with a smile.

"Why are you shouting? " I enquired.
'Bhook lag rahi hai. " She replied with a grin.

Her stomach growled as if to agree to her statement.

"Then lets go feed that monster in your stomach. "

*

Mahika was cutting some vegetables as Dhwani made supper.

Arya sat on the slab watching us.

"You know, This is the first time I feel like I have a real family. "

"Aww. We love you too." Mahika replied sweetly.

"And you are doing the dishes." I added in.