Chapter 14

Chapter 14
LAUREN'S POV

As we were finishing our desserts, a guy entered the cafeteria wearing headphones around his neck, as if searching for someone.

"Kevin, over here! Hey, hey!"

"We're here, bro!"

"Keep it down, Zaren, Axson."

"Okay, baby Calix."

"Haha, gross, Axson, get away from me!"

I couldn't help but overhear their banter. "Baby Calix" – what a nickname! Kevin spotted them and approached.

"You took forever, bro. You order since you're the last one," Axson said.

"Lauren, hey!" Denise called out, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? What's up?"

"We're done with dessert, why aren't you eating? What are you staring at? Are you jealous of Axson calling Calix 'baby'?"

"What? No, Denise!"

"Aww, baby Calix," Roxie teased.

"Haha."

"No, seriously, keep it down, Roxie and Denise, you might be heard by the others," I pleaded, feeling embarrassed.

"Roxie, I'll treat you to dinner later if you shout to Calix that Lauren has a crush on him," Meshie joked.

"Meshie!"

"Haha, deal, anything?"

"Yeah, anything."

"Meshie, Roxie, let's go, I'm done, please," I begged, looking at Denise.

"Denise?"

"Oh? Haha, Go Roxie, shout to Calix and I'll video it, quick!"

"Seriously, Denise? Guys, please let's not do what you're planning," I pleaded again, feeling mortified. I covered my face with my hand.

"HEY, CALIX!"

"WHAT'S UP?"

Uh-oh, he responded, I'm doomed.

"ROXIE HAS A MESSAGE FOR YOU!" Denise chimed in.

"OH? WHAT IS IT?"

"LAUREN HAS A CRUSH ON YOU! SHE WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU LIKE HER BACK!"

"Oh god, you guys, luckily almost everyone's finished eating," I muttered, feeling incredibly embarrassed. I covered my face with my hands.

"Okay, so, uh, I guess I like her back?," Calix replied, and I heard Roxie squeal with excitement.

"Haha, really? Yay, I think Lauren's about to cry!" Roxie teased.

"Alright, Meshie, your treat for dinner," Roxie reminded her.

"Did you get it on video, Denise?"

"Yeah, hahaha."

I could hear them chatting away, even the group across the cafeteria. They were so noisy.

"Bro, haha, turns out the cute chick has a crush on you," Axson teased.

"Huh? Who, Zaren? Oh yeah, I know the one, the one with the long straight hair? Beautiful face, right?"

"Yeah, bro, that's her."

"Guys, keep it down, seriously, you're so loud for grown men," Calix scolded them, feeling my cheeks burning.

"Haha, you're blushing, bro," Axson teased as he high-fived Zaren. They quieted down as their food arrived, thankfully.