Foster home, part 1

Still not my art! None of these will be, okay? Just accept it, I can't draw. 

Addison stayed put. She was clutching the phone Wilbur had given her two days ago in one hand and the strap of her backpack in the other. She'd been dropped off here, ten o'clock at night, by Wilbur and Phil, with the instructions to call the facility. "You'll be safe." they'd promised. 

With shaky fingers and weak knees, Addison tapped the number she'd memorized. 9-1-1. 

"9-1-1 what's your emergency?" 

"M-My name is Addison? Addison Haynes? I've run away and..... I don't know where to go." 

"Okay, Addison. Can you tell me where you are?" 

"I.... I don't know." Addison whispered. This was true, she was so directionally challenged she had no idea where she was the first five minutes away from Wilbur's house. And they'd been driving for a long time. 

"Can you tell me any street names you can see?" 

Addison looked around and gave the 9-1-1 operator a street sign she saw. "I don't wanna go back." she whispered. "Please don't send me back." 

"We won't hon." The operator promised. "You're gonna be alright. All units, I need someone to respond to a runaway child on 123 L'manberg lane. Answers to the name Addison." 

"Alright, Addison. There's going to be a police car pulling up to you in a few minutes. Can you tell me what happened? Where have you been? What phone are you on?" 

"I... I found this phone." Addison whispered. Lie. she thought. Lie. Get out of here and lie. "I've been hiding for weeks. I was so scared of him. He was so mean to me." 

"Alright. Well, you're safe now. We're going to get you somewhere safe, okay?" 

"O-Okay." Addison replied. The cop car pulled up. "Addison?" she asked. 

"Y-Yes." Addison stuttered. "That's me." 

"Can I borrow the phone? I want to talk to the operator real quick." Addison handed her the phone. "This is 727-L30, I have the runaway child, she is safe." 

She hung up the phone and turned to Addison. "Hello, Addison. My name's Athena." 

"Are you going to hurt me?" Addison asked. 

The woman smiled. "No." she said, handing Addison back the phone. "But I want to talk about who did. Can you get in the back for me?" 

Addison nodded. She set her backpack down and got in. "So... What can you tell me about the last few months of your life?" Athena asked. 

"I don't know if I can talk about it." Addison whispered. 

"Addison, you are safe now. That man is never going to hurt you. Would you be happier if I told you what will happen?" 

Addison nodded, but she knew full well what would happen. 

Athena confirmed it. "We're going to give you to a family for a few nights. Then you'll meet a nice man who wants to adopt you. Understand? You will never have to see that man again." 

Addison nodded. "Are you s-sure?" she asked. 

"He has no power over you anymore." Athena promised. 

Addison fell silent. Athena made no more tries to talk to Addison, which she appreciated. She was soon dropped off at a facility, where she was then sent to a new home. 

"Hello there." a woman smiled as Addison got in the back of a car. "My name's Shawna. I'm fostering you for a few days." 

Addison nodded nervously. This was the part she'd been worried about. What if the lady was mean? What if she hated her? What if Addison got hurt again?