twenty-three.

"I'm sorry, your theory is what?" Kirishima questioned, checking to see that his ears weren't broken as (Y/n) spoke to him.

"I'm thinking that if I only use a little bit of the extended abilities of my quirk, then I won't have to suffer the consequences of using them," (Y/n) repeated, pulling on her old pair of suit gloves.

The two were standing out in the courtyard outside their dormitory, near the large tree that has still managed to stay upright. They were just waiting for the day someone would end up knocking it over or set it on fire while practicing with their quirk.

"Wait, am I only here so you can take away my energy?" Kirishima pointed to himself. "Cause I'm not sure how manly that is of me if I just let you take it."

"I'm not sadistic." She shook her head. "Besides, I wouldn't practice with that ability on anyone unless I had Mr. Aizawa out here in case anything went wrong. And since Mr. Aizawa isn't out here, that means that is not the ability I asked you to come out here and help me practice with."

(Y/n) walked over to the tree, picking up one of the smaller branches that had broken off of it over time. She held it out to Kirishima, who took it from her and looked at it quizzically.

"I need you to take a few steps back and simply hold out the stick. Grip it tight enough so that if I tried to take it from you it wouldn't be easy but not tight enough so that it breaks," she instructed, pulling her hair into an updo.

Why Kirishima was out there suddenly clicked as he took a few steps back. "You're gonna try and use your telekinesis to try and take the stick away from me. I get it now... But isn't that going to destroy your back?"

"Not if I'm only using a little bit of the power. I think if I use massive amounts of energy and output it into these abilities, that's when my injuries open back up," she explained, gesturing to her hands and back. "Until I can get equipment that will help in regulating the output, I'm just going to have to self-regulate and limit myself."

"Okay, gotcha." Kirishima nodded, holding out the stick as he gripped it tightly. "Bring it on!"

(Y/n) held out one of her hands towards the stick, a light blue glow beginning to outline her fingers and eventually the rest of her hand. She could feel the energy flowing through her and piling up at her fingers.

It wasn't an absurd amount like when she first used the energy-removal ability in the joint-training session or when she was nearly crushed by the car. It wasn't the normal amount she pushed out during fights with her original abilities either. It was a sort of middle ground between the two output points.

"Hey (Y/n)..."

"Yeah?" Her fingers began to shift from blue to green, slowly turning from green to yellow.

"Did you ask me to help you because you knew that Bakugo wouldn't let you?"

The light around her hand dimmed and eventually stopped. She let out a frustrated sigh and let her hand fall to her side.

(Y/n) didn't answer at first, simply resting her hands on her hips as she looked at the ground. That was all the information Kirishima needed to get his answer.

"Does he even know we're out here?"

"No, he's working on something of his own." (Y/n) looked up from the ground, crossing her arms across her chest. "Besides, it's not like I need his permission to work on my quirk."

"Okay, but that still doesn't really answer the question." Kirishima repeated the question, "Did you ask me to help you because you knew that Bakugo wouldn't let you?"