thirty-nine.

(Y/n) just stared at him.

She literally had no idea what to do.

"You knew...?" she squeaked out, muffled as her lips brushed against her palm.

Bakugo nodded once. "I knew."

(Y/n) took a couple moments, silent as she tried to wrap her head around it. She slipped her hand away from her mouth, running her fingers through her tangled hair. She really wasn't sure how to react.

How are you supposed to act?

He leaned against the side of her bed, his elbows propping him up against the mattress. "To answer your proposition – there is no way in hell that I would ever leave you, (Y/n). Especially not when times get tough."

(Y/n)'s mouth was slightly parted as she tried to figure out what to say. How the hell was she supposed to respond?

"But what about in the future?" she further questioned, barely able to get the words out. "What about then?"

"What about it?"

"What if all of this was for nothing? I don't just mean the fight – I mean everything we've put into one another. What if this was just a stupid teen love story that turned into something with deadly consequences?"

Bakugo stared at her for a moment. He could barely process what she was saying.

Of course it was a risk to be in a Pro Hero program and become Pro Heroes – especially when you're in a relationship. There are always going to be risks no matter what you're doing.

(Y/n) regretted the question as soon as the words left her lips. She didn't have a clue why she said that. Maybe it was the painkillers. Maybe it was the quickly returning pain in her left arm. Maybe it was the slight tingle in the back of her head that told her someone was going to enter through her hospital door in about ten seconds.

She couldn't tell if her heart was about to break or not.

She didn't have to worry for much longer as the door to her hospital room swung open. The two snapped their heads towards the noise, quickly relaxing as (Y/n)'s parents practically sprinted into the hospital room.

"My baby!" her mother cried, throwing her arms around (Y/n). Bakugo quickly backed off, standing near the window as he watched her mother tightly embrace her. "How could this have happened?! Why did this happen?"

(Y/n) had no idea how to respond. She stared blankly ahead as her mother's embrace only tightened around her. She couldn't even move her arm to hug back – both from her mother's tight hold and from the weakness she hadn't even realized was there.

She'd never felt so helpless.

(Y/n) slowly closed her eyes, tears running down her cheeks as she let out a choked-up sob. She began to cry against her mother's shoulder, her tears wetting the fabric almost instantly.

Her father turned to Bakugo, who was simply watching the interaction. His worried expression softened once he noticed the blonde's face. He'd never really considered throughout their entire relationship why (Y/n) had so much love for this boy.

Why she put up with his crazed antics. Why she always spoke highly of him in every situation (or at least tried to).

Her father finally understood once he got one look at the mixture of relief and concern on Bakugo's face. While it didn't appear any different from his expressions that weren't fuming and screaming, he could just see it in his eyes.

"Katsuki," her father began, "could you give us a moment with (Y/n)? We won't be too long – you can come back in soon."

Bakugo didn't respond at first, finally muttering a quiet "okay" before making his way towards the door. He knew that anything other than understanding and leaving would have made everything worse. He knew her parents had already nearly lost their daughter, and she was in an extreme condition, he just couldn't make that worse in any way for them.