forty.

(Y/n) stared out the window, her arm crossed over her chest. It felt weird to only be able to grip her left side, though the feeling of bandages underneath was not an unfamiliar sensation.

She watched as people moved about the city below, though there were few people out. Most of them were scouring for their loved ones or supplies. It was only a matter of time before they started barraging the hospitals, only leading to more chaos.

She let out a shallow sigh, a slight burning sensation arising within her chest if she were take a deeper breath. She turned away from the window, walking back over to the hospital bed. She sat at the end of it, gripping the bottom frame as she stared ahead at the wall.

(Y/n) didn't want to turn on the TV. There wouldn't be anything that would distract her mind enough not to wonder about the horrors outside the hospital. She had stayed the longest out of all of them – especially since Midoriya had disappeared. She wanted to go after him, to use her Quirk to find him but everyone told her not to.

She hadn't used her ability since she woke up.

Of course there were times where it automatically began working. She could sense when someone was coming in but never who. It was always whether their Quirk aura felt familiar or not. She hadn't actively attempted anything.

She felt a slight tingle in the back of her head, prompting her to turn towards the door. Just as she turned, Bakugo and her parents stepped into the room. Her father had a wheelchair while Bakugo was grabbing her bags.

"You don't have to do that," she said to him in a quiet tone.

"I want to," he replied without looking up to her.

(Y/n) couldn't help but wonder where they stood anymore. She completely regretted what she said about whether their romance was just a stupid teen love story. She wished she'd never even had that dumb thought.

Maybe it was the fact that her feelings were growing for him even after the tragedies that came back-to-back in everything.

(Y/n)'s mother helped her change into a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt. Her father wheeled her out to the car. Bakugo followed after them, placing the bags into the car.

"I'll see you soon," he said as he helped (Y/n) into the car, her mother going to the back to check that everything was there. "I'll meet you back at U.A."

She nodded. She wasn't even totally sure that she was going back to school. She wasn't sure what was next.

(Y/n) opened the dorm door, her father right behind her holding her bags

(Y/n) opened the dorm door, her father right behind her holding her bags. Her mother went elsewhere, helping with the evacuation into U.A. Her father would soon follow, promising that he'd make sure that (Y/n) was settled first.

"You'll be okay here?" he questioned after placing her bags on the bed.

"Yes. I'm fine."

"Do you want help unpacking? I can stay—"

"Go help Mom," she said, cutting him off. "I can handle this."

"Are you—"

"Go help Mom."

Without another word, he left. As the door closed, (Y/n) went to go unpack her items. It was proving to be harder than she thought. The shirts were difficult to place on the hangers, her pants unfolded as she went to open the dresser while holding them, and some things just needed two hands to hold.

Eventually, the half-filled bag began to fall off the bed. She turned around just as it was half-way off. She reached for it, her fingers slipping against the edge just as it slammed against the ground.

She let out a sigh. She fell to her knees as she turned the bag over, the rest of her items spilling out. Slowly but surely, she began to pick them up. Rather than placing them back in the bag, she began replacing them back within the dorm.

She kneeled down to grab her mouthwash, a knock at the door stopping her mid-grip. She could feel an incredibly familiar aura buzz in the back of her head. She dropped the mouthwash back onto the ground, pulling herself to her feet.

"(Y/n)? Are you in there?"

(Y/n) felt herself smile at the familiar voice. Kirishima.

She walked over to the door, opening it to the redhead's solemn expression. She was surprised he didn't immediately envelop her in a hug.

"Hey, Kiri. What—" Her face dropped as he held up a letter. She pointed to the paper and asked, "What is that?"

"We all got one," Kirishima stated. He held it out to her.

She opened the letter, feeling her heart drop as she recognized the handwriting. It was Midoriya.

(Y/n),

I'm sorry to have to share the news like this. You have been an amazing friend to me and I am happy to see that you and Kacchan are recovering. I am sorry that any of this happened. I am sorry that it happened to you.

If I could take away all the pain you've been through because of me, I would have. This power is great yet it has caused so much destruction that could have been avoided. That is why I had to go.

I don't know when I'll see you again. I will never forget how good of a friend you have been to me since we were children. You are a kind and powerful person.

Take care of yourself. Take care of Kacchan.

Izuku Midoriya

(Y/n) felt the tears coming the moment she read through the first sentence. She crumpled the paper between her fingers, tears falling onto her hand.

"(Y/n)?"

She looked up to find Kirishima's eyes clouded over as well. She hadn't really seen him much since waking up. Of course this was how they would find each other again. Crying over yet another tragedy.

She dropped the letter, reaching out to him. He closed the gap, embracing her. His hug wasn't extremely tight, just enough to keep her close and comfort her. She shut her eyes tightly, tears continuing to spill down her cheeks. She hadn't had a hug like this in a long time.

"What's going on here?"

The two separated. Bakugo stood in front of him, his own letter out and most likely read. He turned to (Y/n), his face hard as he said, "We need to talk."

"