-Three-

Country Club Princess

"We should plan a day on the main land, go shopping for midsummers." Sae's friend Emma chirped.

Emma Jones was on the shorter side, thin as a twig, with dark hair, and slightly paler skin than Sae. She had gorgeous hazel eyes, and beautiful features. She was adopted into one of the richest families on the OBX.
Her, Sae, and Wren had been friends ever since elementary school.

"Sure, but it should be soon. So we can lay claim to our dresses ahead of time. And also, so I can make sure Rafe matches me." Sae waved her hand, fanning her features. It was a hot summer day, and the two girls were lounged out by the country club pool.

"At least you have a date." Emma crossed her arms, glaring off into the water before them.

"What happened to Tyler?" Sae slid her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose, in order to get a better look at her friend.

"Fuck Tyler Rogers, I wasted two months of my life waiting on him to make a move. Then I find out he's been messing around with Hana Lin, the whole time he was talking to me?" Emma grumbled.
Sae's eyes widened slightly, pushing her sunglasses back into place.

Tyler Rogers sure had a specific type...

"I don't have any suggestions. I already hashed out my optimal boy options to Wren." Sae joked, flipping the page of her magazine.

"Wren is taking a date? How come I'm always out of the loop?" Emma complained, twisting in her seat to shoot Sae a look.

"It's not my fault your mom is so strict." Sae waved a hand in surrender.
And it was true, Emma's mother was very overprotective, and barely let her daughter have a social life. Which was nonsense, because Emma was one of the most responsible people Sae knew.

"You're right, I just feel left out."

"Hey, you and Wren are my best friends. I tell you everything, just a few days late?" Sae giggled at her friend's annoyed expression.

"Yeah, yeah." Emma rolled her eyes, although half heartedly.

They'd spent the whole day by the pool, catching each other up. Sae enjoyed her time with Emma, when it was just the two together. Emma and Wren had different personalities, and Sae always found herself more relaxed around Emma.

"Wren texted me a ton of dresses that she was looking at online. I finally managed to get her to narrow it down to four." Emma huffed.

"Yeah, she was showing me some the other day." Sae nodded, lifting her eyes to examine the other guests around the pool.

It was a slower day at the country club. Which was odd, considering it was prime summer tourist season?
Her eyes traveled over the women sunbathing, the children splashing in the pool. The men gathered at the bar.
And that's when her eyes caught him.
JJ Maybank.
The blond boy was zipping around the patio holding a tray of drinks. He seemed focused on not dropping the tray, and remembering which patron ordered what drink.
Sae began to wonder just how many days did he work at the club?

"Saby~" Emma sang, trying to gain her friends attention.

"Hm?" Sae whipped her head towards her friend.

"Did you hear me?"

"No, sorry." the Ravenette sipped from her ice water.

"I was asking how things are going with Rafe?" Emma mimicked Sae's actions, sipping from her iced tea.