-Eight-

What She Did

"I'm really sorry..." Sae's voice was quiet as she spoke. Her gaze falling to her hands that intertwined in front of her.

After talking with JJ yesterday, she knew she couldn't ignore Rafe any longer. So she took it upon herself to confront him. She'd finally texted him back earlier in morning, to ask if they could talk.
It took him longer than usual to reply. But he agreed none the less. Saying he'd meet her at her place.

So she'd waited for him out on the patio. When he had arrived, Sae was already on edge. She could tell straight away something was up with him, his disheveled appearance making it clear. But she couldn't blame him, she wasn't being fair to him.

They'd taken a walk out on the dock that led to her fathers boat. She'd explained that she was just upset about the other night, and she apologized for ignoring him, stating that she just needed time for herself.
She hadn't mentioned anything about the mainland, or her doubts in their relationship... she couldn't... at least not quite yet.

Sae chewed the inside of her bottom lip, still unable to meet his eyes. He had to be upset with her, how could he not?

"Sae..." Rafe's voice surprised her, by how soft it was. The way her name fell from his lips, like a steady morning rain.

Her chest ached, seemingly more upset that he didn't seem so upset. Why wasn't he more upset with her!?
She could feel the sting of tears, and her lip began to tremble.

"Sae look at me.." he tried again, still not raising his voice. He took a step closer to her, waiting.

Sae begrudgingly did as he asked, her eyes slowly trailing up to meet his. And she couldn't stop the tears as they spilled over her cheeks. He didn't look mad at all, in fact, he looked worried?
Why wasn't he angry with her?

Why wasn't Rafe mad?
Because he absolutely hated when Sae cried. Sure he'd arrived with the same irritation from last night. But slowly, as she started to explain herself, and the shakier her voice became. His interior began to crack, and her tears sealed the deal.
Now, all he wanted was for things to be alright...

That's how much Rafe Cameron cared For Sae Richmond. She had him wrapped around her finger, and she was completely unaware of the extent.

"I'm so sorry Rafe—" she couldn't even finish, before he'd engulfed her into a tight embrace. Wrapping her in his arms, and allowing hers to wrap around his middle. She buried her face into his chest as she cried. Rafe rested his chin atop her head. Squeezing her tightly to him, as if to tell her he forgave her.
And they stood like that for a moment, until Sae could compose herself.

He allowed her to gently push away from him, although her hands held a tight grip onto the sides of his t-shirt. His hands fell to her arms, watching her.
Their eyes met once more, and she couldn't find the words. Instead, as her eyes moved between his, her bottom lip seemed to quiver once more.

Rafe then lifted his hands to cup both of her cheeks gently. Leaning down, he pressed his forehead against hers, his eyes closing.
"Please, stop crying." he pleaded, his thumbs gently running over her features.

"H-how can I when you're not even— even angry with me." She hiccuped through her sentence, her hands moving to rest over his on her features.

"I was mad, but, I just want you to be happy. So if you needed time... then just warn me in the future instead of ignoring me." He opened his eyes, pulling away slightly to look at her again.

A small, shaky smile crept over Sae's features. She then stepped onto her tip toes to place a quick, reassuring kiss to his lips. Rafe didn't give her time to step back down, he quickly bent, and wrapped her in his arms once more, lifting her off her feet this time.
Sae wasted no time in wrapping her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly, as more, silent tears escaped. Burying her head into the crook of his neck. Rafe chuckled lightly, as he stood with her in his arms.