-Nineteen-

Spooky City

"Honey where are you off to? I was thinking you & I could run over to the club. Things are starting to pick back up, and preparation for Midsummers—"

"I'm volunteering for the beach clean up. Sarah is stopping by to pick me up." Sae cut her mother short, having been stopped on her way out the door.

Anna had spotted her daughter on her descent down the stairs. From her position in the kitchen, where she was busying herself cleaning... the woman having become quite board over the last few days.

"Oh... alright, have fun." Anna faltered slightly, but put on a encouraging smile none the less. She'd hoped to spend some quality time with the girl.

Sae hadn't picked up on her mother's disappointment, too focused on making her escape. So she merely gave her mother a wave, already half way out the sliding doors leading to the pool.

"Bye, love you!" Sae called out, shutting the door behind her.
Anna's gaze falling back to the countertop she'd been wiping down. A frown overtaking her features as she continued working.

Sae readjusted her bag over her shoulder, as she let the privacy gate of the pool shut behind her as well. It was nearly twelve thirty, and she needed to beat JJ to the mailbox. The last thing she wanted was him bringing his bike straight to her house. Luckily her father was at the office for the morning, but would be on his way home for lunch shortly. Sae only hoped JJ would arrive promptly.

She moved passed her parked Jeep, beginning down the paved driveway towards the large gates. Her hair pulled back into two French braids. She'd decided on a pair of Jean shorts, and one of her fathers t-shirts... mostly because she hadn't been able to use the washing machine quite yet.
And her father had an unusual collection of 80's band shirts. She finished off with a simple pair of vans shoes.

Sae wasn't quite sure what the day would involve, so she hadn't bothered with dressing to impress as per usual.
More concerned with how the day would go, rather than what she wore.

Sae made it out the extravagant metal gates. Now stood by the brick styled mailbox. She pulled her phone from her bag, only to check the time. Seeing as the cell towers were still down. Although word had been spread that they should be up and running by that night.

12:31pm

She sighed, dropping her cell back into her bag. The neighborhood still noisy with hurricane repair. A chainsaw could be heard from up the street. Their Neighbors, The Gillespie's, had been hit pretty hard. The ancient willow tree that stood beautifully beside their home, met its demise thanks to Agatha.

Just as Sae began fidgeting in her spot, a familiar revving could be heard. Her eyes instantly shooting towards the opposite side of her street. He'd chosen the same path as the day before. A relived huff escaped her, glad he'd made it before her father.

She did notice a red colored helmet adorned his head. Which gave her something to ponder on for a moment, as he approached. Seeing as he hadn't worn protective gear any other time she'd seen him on his bike? Maybe he was finally coming to his senses, and chose safety over risk?

The bike was loud, as it came to a stop directly in front of her. He propped his leg onto the ground, steadying himself.
Sae took one last glance over her shoulder, back towards her house. Still no sign of her mother, so they should get going before there was.
When Sae turned back to the boy, she paused.

He no longer wore the helmet, instead he now held it out for her to take. Her gaze traveling from the brightly colored gear, to meet his.

"Seriously? And here I thought you were finally thinking logically." Sae had to speak over the running engine.