Chapter 39.

Chapter 39.

Priya looked up at her ceiling, which shone as if water was reflecting from it, with floating hippocampi swimming around, before looking over at Percy. He was already asleep, with light snores coming from him, and she didn't want to bother him. Not when she knew that he needed all the rest he could get before the war started.

She tossed and turned, trying to sleep, but as soon as she closed her eyes, she was transported back to that cell, blood dripping from her and her lungs exhausted from screaming so much.

She looked over at the clock in his bedside table, saying 12:38. It was way too late to even be outside, but she needed to clear her head. She quietly got up and walked outside, sitting near Hestia's hearth, situated in the middle of all the cabins. The heat felt good against her skin, especially since the winter air was still cold in the open space. They didn't get snow at camp, unless they wanted to, but that didn't extend to the coldness of the air. She shivered at the first flash of heat, then got settled in nearby.

It was way past curfew, and she knew the harpies would be on guard duty, especially now to try to reinforce a stronger guard. Hence, she stayed closer to the fire and her cabin door, in case she needed to make a run for it.

She heard a few door creak and immediately watched around, seeing a figure emerging from the Apollo cabin, which wasn't too far down.

Only the Area cabin, departed Poseidon from Apollo but there were still vast differences to distinguish them from each other. She crouched, hoping the darkness would swallow her and hoping that whoever it was, was heading to the bathroom, but the figure just walked towards the fire, looking for a place to sit.

He pulled the blanket around him tightly, before walking to break the corner, and jumping after seeing Priya there.

"It's just me, don't worry," she whispered, as he held his chest, trying to calm his breathing. When he was finally calm, he walked closer and sat next to her.

"Why are you here?" Edward said softly, staring at the fire.

"I could ask you the same," she chuckled, rubbing her palms together to get more heat.

"The usual. I couldn't sleep," he sighed, looking at her. He contemplated a bit, before opening his arm and holding out his blanket. An invitation for her to come closer so they blanket could cover both of them. She smiled lightly, scooting over to him as he wrapped the blanket around her, his arm settling behind her back on the ground, to support them both.

"Me neither," she rested her head on his shoulder.

"What's wrong? Talk to me," he placed his cheek on her head, before she turned to look at him. His blonde hair now shone gold with the fire reflecting it, his blue eyes staring back at her green ones.

"I just... there isn't a moment when I don't remember being tortured. Or the things they said. And I try to forget it and distract myself by training, but once the adrenaline wears off, I'm just back to me. I'm tried of everyone thinking that I'm back, or that the children of Poseidon have reunited once more, but honestly I don't know who I am. Everyone expecting me to be this great warrior... or to save camp when the time comes next week but I'm still trying to figure out what it all means. I just wish someone could take my memories and I could start again," she held back her tears, now realising that this is the first time she's ever told anyone about what happens in Tartarus, or even about how she felt.

But Edward was always by her side everyday, since in the infirmary to when she started training, until he became her tutor for archery.

Sure Jay waited until she was better and tried to talk to her, but she couldn't look at him. Because every time she saw his face, she remembered the scared look of not knowing what was going to happen next, and then she remembered her being locked into a cage. He reminded her of that.
As much as she missed him, and hated seeing him with other people, she hated herself more for not being able to forget these moments. She was his best friend and she's been ignoring him but he also didn't push her to talk to him when she didn't want to. Although she didn't want to, she needed to. She needed to get it off her chest.