Chapter 31.

Chapter 31

(Priya's POV)

I put on my hood and gathered my courage and made my way into the all too familiar apartment building. I got onto the elevator to the 9th floor, and knocked on the door to apartment number 32. There was no response. I knocked again and heard shuffling behind the door this time.
My green eyes met those hazel orbs of my mother. This was the first time that I saw her since I was 8. It's been almost 9 years. Her eyes scanned my body and her face filled with shock. She stepped back from in front of the door and motioned for me to come inside. I walked inside, neither of us mentioning a word. I dropped my bag onto the floor, and took off my quiver. She still hadn't taken her eyes off of me.

"Hi mom. It's me, Priya," I said, sighing and not knowing how she would react.
She hugged me as soon as those words escaped my mouth, and I bent down wrapping my arms around her. She embraced me for what felt like minutes before letting me go, passing her hands through my hair, stopping at my cheeks.
"Priya," she said in a low whisper, with tears escaping her eyes. "I've missed you."
She pulled me over to the couch to sit, seeing how exhausted I was.

"Mom, you know that I wouldn't have come here if it wasn't an emergency. And it is."
"I'm just glad that you've come back to me."

I sighed and closed my eyes. This was not how I expected her to react. I thought that she'd be furious at me for leaving but she just wanted me back.

"Whatever reason you're here for, I'm here to protect you and I will. I'll try my best," she said holding my hand and staring at my eyes.
"Mom I'll explain everythin-" I said but she cut me off before I could finish.
"You'll explain everything, after you've had a shower and something to eat," she replied sternly. "Your old room is still there. You can get settled in. I'll prepare something for you to eat while you shower."

I got up quickly and picked my bag up from the floor and made my way to my old room.
"Priya," she said softly, rising from her chair and walking into the kitchen. I turned around to look at her. "You have his eyes... and his smile," she said smiling, reminiscing.
I smiled at her and walked towards my room. I knew I had his eyes, but no one ever told me about his smile. I laughed to myself, accepting this fact.

After I got showered and put on some of her clothes, since my 8 year old clothes were by far too small, I walked into the kitchen and sat on a stool by the island, as she laid out food on a plate for me. I started to explain everything that happened, from being on the quest, to being tortured (leaving out the gruesome details), to meeting my father until I ended up here, by her.
After explaining, she got up from off the stool and hugged me. "I forgive you for leaving. I know you had no choice and that you were trying to protect me. It's not your fault." As she said these words that I longed to hear, so that I would stop blaming myself, relief came over me and a tear slid down my cheek.
She mentioned memories that she had with Poseidon and said how proud she was and how proud he would be, though I doubted it. She smiled, taking the apple pies out of the oven, and just then I realised why Poseidon must've fell for her. She accepted Me with welcome arms, ready to put the past behind us, and was just happy that I was safe. She depended on only herself to survive, though Poseidon had promised her much more.

(Jay's POV)

I took a long shower, filled with my thoughts and downed some of chips that I purchased. I sat by the desk in the room and tried to think of where Priya might be. I just hoped that for once, my instincts were wrong and that she was safe.
The pen that I was turning between my fingers suddenly dropped to the floor as I thought of something. I promised myself that I wouldn't disturb her mother with all this demigod talk...but maybe that's the place she is. The last place she's expect someone to look for her.

I wrote down the address of her mothers apartment, having it burnt into my mind after listening to Priya's never ending nightmares. I'll visit her mother, but of course I'll have to be careful. Her mother was very supportive of her up until the moment she ran away leaving dear old Sarah by herself. Sarah was determined and courageous, but also a women that should never be crossed. Maybe that's why she caught Poseidon's eyes. She never forgave Priya for abandoning her and Priya vowed never to return to her home unless absolutely necessary. Well maybe now, it was one of those necessary conditions.

A good's night rest is exactly what I need and then I'll leave first thing in the morning to visit Sarah.

The trip to Brooklyn wasn't an easy one seeing as I had to take a train, getting off at the last stop, with the weird looks from ongoing travellers. The mist concealed my weapons so that no ordinary human could see it as it truly was. However, I guess a brown haired, 6 ft guy with grey eyes that apparently looked amber in certain lights, was unusual in Brooklyn. I doubt it.
I arrived at Sarah's apartment about 20 minutes after stepping off the train. I stood in front her door for a few minutes, contemplating whether I was doing the right thing or not. Eventually, I gathered my courage and knocked. A slim, brunette woman of average height, opened the door. Her face was confused and she narrowed her cold hazel eyes at me.

"May I help you?" She asked sternly, staring at me.
Should I tell her the truth?

"I'm Jay Walsh" I replied meeting her cold eyes with a smile and an extended hand. "From the local high school and I have a project to hand in. I decided to focus my research on the families living in this apartment so if you could spare a few minutes of your time to answer some questions, it will be greatly appreciated."
A kind smile grew over her face. It was now welcoming, cancelling out the cold aura given off by her eyes. She invited me inside. I walked in, only to see a living room decorated with pictures of animals and nature, but no pictures of her family or Priya.
There were three doors on the right... probably 2 beds and a bath like most apartment buildings, and a glass door on the left, leading out to a balcony. The kitchen and living room were slightly detached with the living room fully visible from the island in the kitchen.

"Make yourself comfortable dear," she said, walking into the kitchen and returning a few minutes later, with a cup of tea and some star shaped biscuits. She handed them to me and I immediately recognized these biscuits as it was highly spoken of by Priya. She loved them, since they were homemade and star shaped. Sarah has to make the cookies that shape in order for Priya to eat them, since she always said that her father was a star in the sky looking down on her and guiding her. From then on, Priya loved the stars.

I set them on the wooden table in front of me as Sarah sat on the couch opposite me. I pulled out a pen and a notepad from my bag; if I had to play a high school student, then I might as well be convincing. I asked the basics, such as name, address, length of residence and so on, to begin with. Then I needed to find out what I actually came her for.

"Mrs. Campbell, do you have any kids?" I asked hoping that it would be subtle.
" It's Ms. Campbell, since I was never married and yes I had a daughter." She said looking down, avoiding my eyes.
" I'm sorry. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?" I replied, scribbling notes Into my book.
" She was very curious and one day she ran away after an argument and vowed that she would never returned home." Sarah said, shifting her stance to prop her elbow onto the hand rest.
" Has she ever returned since then? Or tried to get in contact with you?" I asked finishing my cup of tea.
"No... we haven't been in contact since she left and I doubt that she'll return here." She said, crossing her legs. I tried so hard not to comfort her, or even mention Priya. I needed her to be the one to mention Priya first. However I thanked her for her hospitality and walked to the kitchen to put my cup. She followed me and started wiping the counters.