Chapter 19

The seedlings I planted in my veggie garden were starting to sprout and I was excited about it. We still had hired landscapers who tended to these sorts of things, but I still participated when I could. I would've told them to leave the garden alone altogether, but lately so much was happening I never knew where I'd be and if I'd remember to water them. 

I didn't end up seeing Nick again for the rest of the day or night. This morning I had a text telling me to be ready by 2pm because that was when we'd be meeting up with the Russian's. It was only 11:30 in the morning and I had plenty of time to get ready. I kept asking myself what the hell I should wear to an interrogation/ introduction to some of the higher ranking members of the America based Russian Bratva operation. 

When I texted Mikhail that he laughed. He told me business casual was fine.

        It's weird because a lot of these guys would be at the docks or in warehouses and they wouldn't be in suits or dresses, but we had to keep up appearances and for us that always seemed to mean that we were dressed sharply. I decided since the weather was hot that I'd straighten my hair and put it up into a sleek ponytail to have the long dark strands hang down my back. My face was open and clear that way and I could maybe wear some lipstick to make my features pop. I also decided on a pencil skirt and my more comfortable pair of heels. 

I almost over watered some of my plants while my mind wandered off to all this. I had to put the watering can away and go inside before I messed anything up. I couldn't help my clouded mind. There was a lot riding on today. I wasn't sure what, but I could just feel that it was important somehow. 

        By the time I reached the foyer to head up the staircase, the front door swung open catching my attention. I gasped at what I saw. "Nick, what the hell?" I rushed over to him. He was in a white button down shirt and it was stained red with blood in some places. His hair was disheveled and his knuckles looked like they were already bruising. He waved me off, but I continued to follow him up the stairs. "What happened? Is that your blood?" I asked. 

"No" was all he said, and he didn't slow down as he took the steps two at a time. "Hey, talk to me," I tried gripping his forearm but he yanked it back. I was surprised at the harshness of it. I started to say his name again and walk faster so I'd be ahead of him but that made him snap.

"Gia, get the fuck outta the way. This doesn't concern you. I already told you my business is mob business and last I checked you aren't in the mob, so go the fuck away." 

I stopped in my tracks and gaped at him. I didn't understand why he was being so cruel. I let him walk into his room and shut the door without saying another word. 

        I'd asked Maria earlier in the day if I could borrow her straightener because I hadn't packed mine, and she said she'd bring it up to me. When I turned away from the angry Nicolas I saw her standing at the top of the steps as she tried deciphering the scene in front of her. "What was that about?" she asked, looking past me to the empty hall her son was no longer in. 

"I have no idea" I huffed, stomping away. She followed me into my bedroom and handed me the straightener. I caught her eyes looking around the room and was surprised when she sat on my sofa as if she were planning on staying.

        "I've always loved this dusted pink color. I would've done my room this way if Giuseppe let me. Since I've never had a daughter I'm happy that at least this room has been put to use lately. All the soft tones in this room was my idea" she said, still looking up and around at the subtle details she curated herself. "I didn't know that. I figured you guys had a decorator" I told her honestly. "No, I like doing these sorts of things. I think if I didn't marry at the age I did and didn't get pregnant with the boys I would've wanted to be an interior designer" she spoke absentmindedly.