Chapter 63 (Nick's POV)

I was in a three piece suit, having just come back from an important sit down. Now I was at the fucking wharfs where it smelt like shit, and asscracks were hanging out as my guys lifted the shipments to bring into the warehouse. I leaned against the wall and toyed with the cigarette in my hand. I didn't often smoke, but sometimes it just takes the edge off. The idea of cigars reminds me too much of my father's flapping cheeks. He puffed on those damn things my entire childhood. It reminds me of his speeches too. 

        "Nico, I need you to take this chair one day. I need you to be strong and smart. Heart will never get you places. Not the places you'll wanna go when you learn from your papa," he'd stand from his office chair and show me what was dangling at my fingertips. Power.

But I was like 9 years old, and what my dad said was the bible. I let Guiseppe Luciano mold me into a killer, a mobster, a boss. By 18 years old I was a professional hit man. I just have a fucking knack for it. I don't know why. The Reaper....the fucked up shit he's done can all attribute back to my father, those cigars, and me watching things a tiny boy shouldn't watch. 

I got a taste for the blood and it made the monster. I've never given a fuck about anything. Truly. I'm not just saying that. Yes, I can get easily angry, but I don't care on a level that chafes at the chest. It's business and I take business seriously. Nah, all the girls that I've run through, the family that never showed me any love, and the lifestyle I've chosen. I don't feel a thing.

        I rolled the cigarette between my fingers until Dominic showed up beside me with a lighter in hand. I finally put the thing between my lips and lit it up. He joined me, pulling from his pack and doing the same. "Everything running smoothly?" He asked me since he'd only just gotten here from a task I had him take care of for me. I raised the smoke to my lips and let it rise. 

"Yeah, these lazy fucks needed a kick in the ass, but now they're making good time," I chuckled and checked my watch. They were doing just fine, but I like kicking a man in the ass once in a while. Keep them in line.

        We finished our smokes and I tipped my head for Dom to follow me inside, up those metal stairs to the office space where we keep our legal books. I sat behind the desk chair, which is much more tattered than the home office. Unlike my dad who puts his nose up to being right in the mix of this shit, I don't mind being here. Dom plopped down on the half sofa pushed against the wall. I opened my mouth to speak, but we were interrupted.

The door flew open and shut, and I was ready to snap at whoever it was until I saw it was Snake, my number three Ignazio. "Why do you have that dumb grin on your face?" I humored him, leaning back in my seat. His stupid expression made me chuckle. 

        "Remember that girl I was telling you about? The one with the incredible tits? I finally bagged her," he stood proud. "But? That's not why you came scrambling inside here?" Dom chuckled, making room for Snake to sit down. "She has a fucking boyfriend. He tried chasing me out the house until I pulled my gun and he got all pale and shit, but I just saw the fucker....he works at the docks," Snake threw his head back and laughed. 

"No shit," I chuckled, what are the chances. He isn't talking about our own guys in the organization. There are regular wharfs around here where other business is being conducted. 

If he was one of our guys he'd have known Ignazio's face, and he'd never have chased him down. "Why'd you start running instead of pulling the gun right away?" Dom bothered to ask. "It's fun," Snake shrugged with that stupid grin. "You guys are all tapped in the head, you know that?" Dom looked between me and him. 

"What'd I do?" I interlaced my fingers cupping the back of my head, leaning back on the chair. They gave me an expression that read, 'you've done enough to list plenty', so I just chuckled.