Chapter 50

I'd run from the yard I was hiding in once I heard a car slow to a stop. Slowly it started rolling down the road..very slowly, as if the car was scanning for something. I figured it had to be Vincent checking the surrounding streets from where I'd sent him my location. I couldn't answer Nick's call because I didn't want to make any noise. Instead I sent him this location hoping he wouldn't be an asshole, and would actually come for me. 

When I peeked out into the street I saw Vincent's retreating body as he started searching a yard across from where I was. I knew I had to run. I scrambled to my feet and ran through the little pocket of trees that were back there until I could make my way out of them again, onto a road. 

I went to reach for my phone and cursed when it wasn't there. How could I be so stupid and lose my phone? How would I reach anyone now?

        I was on the verge of tears with how strung out my nerves were today. If Vincent's looking this hard for me it means he was the one with the lighter that night. It has to be. I started walking in hopes of finding some place I recognized enough to regain my bearings. To try and get myself home, even if it wasn't the safest place to be. 

At least I could try to get a car so I wasn't traveling by foot. 

How has my life come to this? I'm so afraid for my life and the life of my family. Is dad safe in prison or will someone get orders from Luciano telling him to get rid of my dad? What about my aunt and uncle? Dom? Everyone was in danger and I was so terrified because I knew I was just one girl against the world right now.

         I could've cried in relief when I noticed the neighborhood I was in. I'd call her more of an acquaintance than a friend, but I grew up with the girl and knew very well where she lived. It was Bianca Ragusa, daughter to Mr. Ragusa of the Ragusa crime family, and my dad's friend. 

I ran down to their house and knocked on the door hoping my appearance wasn't too off putting. Bianca was like a young Sophia Loren and considered one of the pretty daughter's alongside me. I say this because it was almost her who was considered for the Russian's. 

I guess I saved her a hell of a life.

        She was the one to answer the door and I was relieved. "Oh? Gia, hi," she looked very surprised to see me. "Hey, I'm so sorry this is random, but I need to borrow your phone. I was having car trouble and my phone's dead. I recognized your neighborhood and I didn't know what else to do," I gave her a fake smile. 

"Oh sure, come in," she took a step aside. Her family also had an impressive home. Not a mansion but luxury for sure. 

"Do you have my cousin Dominic's phone number?" I asked, not memorizing the number. With stupid cell phones I don't remember anyone's phone number. "Mmm, no sorry I don't," she shook her head. Who else? "Nick's?" I asked. When I saw her confused expression I remembered nobody calls him that, so she wouldn't know who I was talking about. 

"Uh Nico" I clarified. 

"I do," she said, twirling her hair. He's probably fucking her too, isn't he? I wish that surge of frustration didn't hit me, but it did. 

        Bianca pulled up his number and guided me further inside so we weren't hovering by the door. Nick didn't answer the call. "Are you two close now? I heard you're under the Luciano family's protection. I'm sure you've had a lot of time around each other," she pried very obviously in envy. 

"Not really" I lied. When she scanned over me I sighed and added. "He's just with my cousin and since you don't have my cousin's number," I let her fill in the blankets. When he didn't answer a second time I knew he probably never would, so I left a voicemail hoping it'd catch his attention sooner than a text would.