Chapter 31

I was watering the garden and tending to the vegetables and I decided today I would go swimming. I have the luxury of the pool right there in front of me and I haven't even utilized it. Everything that happened with Nick yesterday was intense, and later today I'd be saying goodbye to Mikhail for the next month. I'll have to decide what I want to happen after that, because he was willing to come here and propose to me if I let him.

        Last night Dom cornered me in my bedroom and asked me why I disappeared with Nick and what I was hiding. I told him that we were just working on something and we promised to keep it private for now to limit any news leaking. He was offended at first and claimed I didn't trust him. I explained that by not telling him I'd be proving to Nick that I'm trustworthy. 

Then I'll end up in a position where I can find out more and be able to do more to help. It took him a little bit, but then he finally understood it was just temporary and that he needed to trust that I would tell him soon.

I know my cousin and I could see it in his eyes that he wanted to ask me something else, and I knew exactly what it was. He wanted to know if something was going on with Nick and I. He couldn't bring himself to ask so instead he warned me of something. 

"Do whatever makes you happy, but do it safely," he told me before wishing me a good night. Would my safety be compromised if Alexei and Mikhail found out about Nick and I hooking up repeatedly...while also seeing Mikhail? Yeah, shit would probably hit the fan.

        After the roses were pruned and the weeds were removed I watered the garden and veggies before wiping the dirt from my hands and making my way inside to change into a swimsuit. It was going to be sunny for now, but later there was a chance of thunderstorms and I didn't want to risk waiting too long. I could use a little vitamin D while I tan.

I was happy when I felt the water wasn't too cold, but not hot enough that it wouldn't refresh me. I slipped right in and swam a lap before letting my body loose and letting myself float along the surface. With my ears blocked by the water all sound took on a distortion. If I hummed I could hear it everywhere in my head, and if someone spoke from above me it sounded like distant muffling. 

I slipped back under the water and swam over to the steps that would lead me out of the pool. When I came up from the water and slicked my hair out of my eyes I was surprised to find Nicolas sitting on a lawn chair. It was directly in front of the steps I was climbing. His melted gold eyes shimmered like honey in the sunshine, and I watched as they scanned over every inch of my body.

         He was in casual clothes which meant he hadn't been working today. I walked right by him as I dripped water everywhere then I laid down on the lawn chair beside him. I wanted the sun to tan my body, so I laid with my eyes closed and enjoyed the warmth kissing my skin already.

"I wanna fuck you so bad right now. Jesus, what a bikini" he groaned quietly. I couldn't help the smirk that spread on my face, but I didn't even open my eyes when I replied, "I know." I heard him shift and when I looked over I saw he'd removed his shirt and laid back on the chair next to me.

"Oh, suddenly you wanna tan?" I called him out. "Yeah, why not? Oh...does my body distract you?" his smart ass asked me with an arrogant grin. "Not at all," I said with a smile. He snorted, clearly not believing me. 

        Neither of us were able to say anything else because a second shadow appeared over us. We saw Vincent standing with a shit eating grin. "Now you guys do activities together?" he raised a suspicious brow. "I came out here for three seconds," Nick rolled his eyes at his brother. "You're painfully obvious," he shook his head in amusement. "If you're dating it's okay to admit to me Nico. I am your brother," he reminded him. Nick made a sound that was like a scoff and a snort all in one. He sat up straight in this chair.