Chapter 72

After the intense revelations exposed to me inside an airport detainment room my once tragic situation turned on its axis. There's a version of Mikhail whom I mourn and remember, but Nick showed me I didn't have a clue who really had my back through all this. Everything Nicolas Luciano did in recent months he did for me. And that changes everything.

I didn't get on my flight to Italy. After I had intense, passionate sex with Nick we left together hand in hand. It still feels unreal to me that Nicolas Luciano admitted that he loves me. We've been through so much together.

Investigations, wild sex, secrets, murder, death, fire, loss, guilt, greif, release, tragedy, passion, love.

        I hope from here on out we only experience good things together. But there's one major problem in all this...nobody can know we're dating. Not yet. Not until the smoke clears and the heat of Mikhail Bokarev's death isn't so prominent and sensitive. I'm supposed to be the grieving fiance. To start dating Nick so soon would be a slap in the face of the Russians, but it'd also raise suspicions on Nick.

And seeing as Nick really did murder Mikhail it's something we can't afford to tamper with. 

We're playing a dangerous game here. We're toting a very dark line of looming mob wars and retaliations. Business dealings hanging on by a thread. The threat of other territories trying to step on the Bratva while they're weak.

With no direct underboss to the Bratva throne word is getting out. Mikhail Bokarev is dead and everyone is watching Alexei to see what happens next. I know what happens next. Alexei told me himself. He's going after the cartel for who he thinks killed his son.

The truth can never come out. That's a secret Nick and I will take to the grave. No one else knows. Not his father, his third in command and friend Iganizo, and not Dom or any of them. It's just Nick and me now.

-

        Since we had to be discreet about our relationship I'd only ever see Nick at my apartment where I now live alone. It's a secure building and it has its own private garage. I gave Nick my access card and he comes in through that private entrance. And he doesn't come in his obvious, expensive, well known car. He brings another random one.

Still nice, but that isn't out of place in this building. Rich folks live here.

        When I heard the knock, excitement surged through me. I haven't seen him in a few days. Things have been hectic for him at work. I say work like he's in an office doing a 9-5. When I say work I mean he's being the boss of the Italian mob. I always knew my life was going to end with my being the wife of a mob boss...just not this mob boss.

        When I opened the door Nick was standing there as handsome as sin. His golden eyes dropped to take in the sight of me, and I watched a smirk raise on the tip of his lip. I stepped back for him to step in. Once the door was shut I was extending my arms to wrap them around his neck while he kissed me hello.

"Hi baby," his sexy deep voice greeted me, just a breath above my lips. 

I gave him another pressing kiss before I removed my arms from around his neck. I opened my mouth to say something but his expression caught me off guard.

        "What?" I barely got to ask him before he was already towering me. "Why the fuck are you wearing this?!" He hissed when he saw the engagement ring Mikhail had given me. I pressed my lips together and tried pulling my hand out of his larger one. He had a tight grip on me though, and he scowled down at the sparkling diamond.

"I can't just take it off. People would notice that, and I'm supposed to be the grieving fiance, remember?"

He worked his jaw in obvious anger but dropped my hand from his hold.