Sneak Peek

Chapter not finished but here's a quick preview to tide y'all over.

She heard voices for a long time. Whispers and half-words. Rumblings - disjointed syllables. Sometimes, it was as though she was laying at the bottom of a warm bath, eavesdropping through thin walls. Often, the sounds seemed vast and far away; echoes from the other end of a long, long tunnel. The soft lilt of pleading words remained confusing; her consciousness a heavy fog, struggling to make sense of the clamour.

"Mommy...please momm...Chl-I don't thin...where...taking us?"

Time was divided into the very fast and the very slow. How long had it been since she first felt the soft, downy comfort of a foreign mattress beneath her? She couldn't say. Couldn't think. Thoughts thick and cloying, she couldn't pierce through the haze long enough to make sense of it.

"You're alr...fuck- still bleeding- pull over..."

Awareness ebbed and flowed like the sea, everywhere and all at once, and then - darkness. A blanket encompassing everything that was her sight and her lungs until she couldn't breathe - and yet, somehow, managed to surface.

"She's...is sh...mama? Can you hear...Please!...help her!"

Slowly, be it days or weeks or eternities since she had been in somebody else's bed, she began to drag her way out of the dark; the diffusion of sleep marked by a ringing in both ears that had her simultaneously alert and afraid. It had been so long since she had been aware of any specific feeling. Her body was foreign - skin too tight, limbs loose and almost liquid.

"What are y...mama? Ma...is she...? Mama it's me...it's Chl...can you...?"

The first signs of light told her that she must have opened her eyes, but her head was sluggish and not-quite-there, the air in front of her face dazzling and toobrighttoobrighttoobright. Her lips parted like old parchment, and a quiet breath of a groan was all she could manage, until she was almost ready to give in and burrow back into the dark.

And then, a different voice. Familiar and coarse, and like a leaky tap, memories began to trickle through her muddled brain. A warm hand traveling up her bare thigh, a demanding voice telling her to lay back. Menacing eyes.

"Bey, baby? I know you mus... really confused...it's o..." A male's voice broke through her panic to grab her attention.

She blinked, and was conscious of blinking. With that, awareness crashed into her quickly. She would have shot upwards, were it not for the heaviness of her body. Instead, she groaned again, shying away when the sliver of vision she had was overcome by a dark, shadowy figure.

"Bey? Look at me, Hey, you alright, it's me, it's - "

She didn't look, her body outright refusing. The sounds of movement, her head was spinning, and then somebody wiped tears from her eyes and the blurry shape in front of her began to take a more solid form. With trembling, unsteady fingers, Beyoncé reached up to weakly push the hand away when it hovered over her face again.

"Bey," the man calmly spoke her name.

Don't look at him

It was a warning from some part of her. She shouldn't look at him, but if he was a threat, she had to face him at some point. Turning her head a little too fast, she took in what she saw of him quickly in a single once over. A very tall man with dark skin, an unkempt fade, scruffy beard, dressed in simple clothes. A clean, fitted white shirt, dark navy blue jeans, she couldn't see if he had on any shoes. He was middle aged and so incredibly handsome that Bey would blush if it weren't for her crisis right now.