That Still Small Voice

Emma and (Y/n) had both successfully moved into Mary Margaret's apartment, both of them taking the room upstairs. Mary Margaret was able to get a second bed, a small one, to join the other smaller bed upstairs so they could have comfort to themselves. Right after they had moved in, Emma got asked by Mr. Gold to find a girl named Ashley Boyd, who had broken into his shop. It turned out, Gold was looking to get the baby Ashley was going to have, but Emma managed to break their deal and let Ashley keep the baby by making a deal of her own, owing a favor to Gold. Graham had offered them both a deputy job at the station, due to their help in finding David the days before.

Taking the job, the both of them stood in Graham's station as he handed them a police shirt to wear. Holding it up to herself, Emma said, "A tie? You know you don't have to dress a woman as a man to give her authority."

"So you think you can get people to do what you want in that red coat?" Graham countered, pointing to Emma's red leather jacket.

"I get people to do what I want in a sweatshirt. I think the jackets will be fine," (Y/n) said as she held her black leather jacket closer to herself as Emma tossed the shirt onto a desk.

"Well, at least wear the badges," Graham said, holding up two police badges for them to take. Emma hesitated while (Y/n) took ahold of one of them, looking it over as Graham held the other out to Emma. "If you really want to be a part of this community, we have to make it official."

As soon as Emma clipped the badge onto her, there was a loud rumble in the ground. (Y/n) grabbed onto the closest desk to hold herself up. The phones on the desks started ringing off the hook, and Graham nodded for them to follow him after answering one. Apparently, the crash came from the mining facility on the outskirts of town. They drove down there, people already gathering as they looked at the smoke billowing from the entrance to the mine.

"Everyone, step back, please!" Regina called as she got out of her car.

"Is that a crater?" Ruby asked as she looked at the mine in question.

"No, there were tunnels. Old mines. Something collapsed," Marco said, gesturing to the site.

"Sheriff, set up a police perimeter. Marco, why don't you help with the fire department," Regina said, walking over to their stance. Looking at Emma and (Y/n), she sighed and said, "Miss Swan, Miss Adler, this is now official town business. You're free to go."

"Well, we work for the town now," (Y/n) stated, making Regina turn to Graham, appalled.

"They're my new deputies," he told her, and Regina's eyes flared for a moment, showing just a tad of how upset she was before hiding it.

"They say the mayor's always last to know," she said, and looked pointedly at Graham.

"It's in my budget," he stated.

"Indeed," Regina sneered, and Graham looked her over for a moment before she looked back at the sisters and said, "Deputies, why don't you make yourself useful and help with crowd control?" Giving Graham one final look, Regina looked to the gathering crowd and spoke loudly to them. "People of Storybrooke, don't be alarmed. We've always known this area was honeycombed with old mining tunnels. But, fear not, I'm going to undertake a project to make this area safe, to rehabilitate it into city use. We will bulldoze it, collapse it, pave it."

"Pave it?" Henry said, stepping forward. (Y/n) elbowed Emma to get her attention to the fact that her son was here, which startled most of the people in the crowd. "What if there's something down there?"

They had a small, silent conversation, before Regina pushed him gently back into the crowd and said, "In fact, everyone, please, please, step back. Thank you."