Heart of Darkness

Taking Mary Margaret in to the police station in handcuffs would probably be on (Y/n)'s list of hardest things she had to do in her life. Mary Margaret was a sweet, kind, caring schoolteacher that wouldn't even consider hurting a fly, let alone killing another human being. (Y/n) was going through the paperwork, trying to focus, but all she could hear was the snap of the mugshot camera as Emma placed Mary Margaret in front of the height board.

"Please turn to the right," Emma said solemnly, hating that she had to do this to her friend.

"Emma, (Y/n), this is a mistake. I didn't kill Kathryn!" Mary Margaret said, her body now to the right.

"Of course you didn't," Emma told her, knowing her truth. "But while we are your friends, we are also the sheriff and the deputy, and we have to go where the evidence leads."

"Which points to me?" Mary Margaret said, stepping away from the height board. "Emma, yesterday it was David. There's something not right here."

"We know that," (Y/n) spoke up, turning away from her desk to look at her friend. "But it's your fingerprints on the box, not his. We know you didn't do it, but we have to deal with this."

"Evidence that says I cut out Kathryn's heart," Mary Margaret said more to herself, "and buried it in the woods. This is insane."

"If I don't book you, with all this evidence, it's going to look like favoritism," Emma explained, and Mary Margaret looked a little shocked. "And then Regina will have cause and she will fire me, then (Y/n). And then you know what she'll do? She'll bring in someone who will railroad you. So, please, just try to be patient and trust us."

"We can't even move on with the investigation until we know for certain that the heart is Kathryn's, but we need to wait for the DNA test results to get back in before we know," (Y/n) told her, her head looking down at the paperwork in front of her.

"But in the meantime, you have to bear with me. I have to ask you a few questions," Emma said, and Mary Margaret's breathing intensified for a moment.

"This is crazy. I would never hurt anyone," Mary Margaret murmured as they walked through the station towards the interrogation room.

(Y/n) got up from her seat to follow them, intending to stay inside the room and watch, but not ask questions so Mary Margaret did not feel threatened upon by two of her friends. However, when she looked inside the room, she saw Regina sitting there, and Mary Margaret was frozen at the door. Of course Regina would be here. Why wouldn't she? The woman she hates most in this town, apart from Emma, was about to be on trial for murder. She's probably reveling in the fact.

"Hello, Miss Blanchard," Regina greeted, and Mary Margaret turned to Emma.

"What is she doing here?" she asked timidly as Emma exchanged a glance with (Y/n) and closed the door.

"She asked to be here as a third party to make sure I stay impartial," Emma explained. "It can only help you."

As Emma sat down beside Regina, Mary Margaret sat down across from them, giving (Y/n) a quick glance before turning and looking at the two of them in front of her. "I have nothing to hide. Ask me anything."

Emma clicked the tape recorder in front of her and started. "The heart was found buried near the old toll bridge, and it had been cut out by what appears to be a hunting knife." Mary Margaret closed her eyes in disgust at the thought. "Have you ever been to that bridge before?"

"Yes. Many times. It's where David and I liked to meet," Mary Margaret said for the record.

"Mr. Nolan?" Emma questioned, getting up from her seat as Mary Margaret affirmed. "And you met there for what purpose?"