The Stranger

Now that they knew of Regina's skeleton keys, the girls felt they needed a better security system in their apartment. August, apparently, had a history of woodwork, and offered to install a great lock for them on their door to keep unwanted visitors out of their apartment. Henry, of course, wanted there to be some great big spy security system, like a retinal scan or a fingerprint lock or lasers to evaporate anyone sneaking in, but Emma quickly demolished those ideas from his head, going with the simple lock on the door.

As August finished the lock, he shut the door and pulled the lock through it, saying, "No one is getting through that."

"Wow. When are you installing the torture chamber?" Emma asked jokingly.

"You don't like it? I call it medieval chic," August said, looking at his work.

"I don't care what it looks like as long as it keeps Regina and her skeleton keys out," Mary Margaret said, her past experience still haunting her.

"Aren't you a writer? Where'd you learn to do all this? It's incredible," (Y/n) said as she ran her hand along the fine wood of the lock, the details exquisitely carved out.

"Woodshop. Eighth grade," August responded, but (Y/n) wasn't sure she believed him.

"Now why don't I believe you?" she said, arms crossed as she looked up at him. She didn't mean it in a serious manner, her lip perked up a little in amusement.

"Okay, enough flirting," Emma groaned, and (Y/n) looked at her, a little peeved.

"I was not flirting," (Y/n) hissed out, and walked away from August to relieve the situation.

"Oh! I have to get going," Mary Margaret said, walking over to make her own cup of coffee.

"Are you sure you're ready to go back?" Emma questioned, walking over to the counter.

Mary Margaret chuckled and said, "After a stint behind bars, how tough can a room full of fourth graders be? Besides, aren't you the one we need to be worrying about?"

"Me? Why?" Emma questioned as (Y/n) sat down beside her.

"Well, you did threaten to take Henry away from Regina," August spoke up, putting his tools back in his duffel bag.

"Oh, that wasn't a threat. I'm hiring Mr. Gold to help build a case against her," Emma said, sending the other three into a slight fit of surprise. Looking at Mary Margaret, she said, "She tried to frame you for murder."

"But, you do know what happens if you win?" Mary Margaret questioned, and Emma nodded. "And you're ready? To be his mom?"

"Yeah," Emma assured, making Mary Margaret and (Y/n) share a smile.

The walkie in Emma's bag let out a white noise, before they heard Henry's familiar voice over the other side. "Code red! Code red!" he said.

"Hey, Henry. What's going on?" Emma asked.

"Meet me at Granny's. It's an Operation Cobra emergency!"

"We're on our way," Emma said, and got up from her seat, nodding for (Y/n) to follow her.

(Y/n) couldn't tell Emma how she had begun to believe Henry just a little bit more every day. It was insanity. She felt like she should be admitted into a mental hospital. On the way out, they said bye to Mary Margaret and went their separate ways before walking down the street.

"Emma, (Y/n), wait up," they heard August say, the man jogging to catch up with them.

"You heard the kid. Operation Cobra calls," (Y/n) said, giving him a glance before looking forward.