chapter 35

(yang)pov

Across the battlefield outside Atlas, as the Atlas Military continues to hold the line, corpses of the Atlas Soldiers can briefly be seen before Monstra is shown spilling out more Grimm.

We manage to successfully infiltrate Monstra, stopping to catch our breath in one of the tunnels. As we try to figure out our next step, Ren points out that he can feel some people's emotions deep within, to me Pyrrha and Jaune's surprise. we decide to follow Ren's lead.

Meanwhile, in the torture chambers, Oscar recounts the fairy tale of the Woman Who Fell Through the World to himself, which Ozpin recognizes. Oscar compares himself to the girl in the excitement she felt about finding a new world, but now understands the sadness she felt when she came back home to find she wasn't the same person anymore. 

Ozpin believes their plan to divide Salem's allies failed, and offers to use his Magic to break them out. However, Oscar tells him he doesn't like using it, as he feels as though their souls merge faster as they do. Suddenly, the cell's door opens as Hazel lifts Oscar off the ground.

Meanwhile in the outskirts of Atlas, Winter Schnee orders a squadron of soldiers, amongst them including Team FNKI to hold a landing zone for the bomb transport they plan to use on Monstra. Neon Katt and Flynt Coal attempt to comfort one another as Vine warns the squad of an incoming wave of Grimm. 

Watching the soldiers and the Ace-Ops climb out of a trench to fight, Marrow solemnly remarks that they're just kids. Elm  jumps into the trench, tells him to get ahold of his issues later and to fight.

In Monstra, Hazel drags Oscar to the room holding the Relic of Knowledge. He tells Oscar that he's been thinking about their conversation, telling him that if Oscar lied that Hazel would be punished before him; since Hazel doesn't know what will happen when the lamp activates, Oscar activating it should tell him what he needs to know. 

Emerald walks in, but instead of intervening, she's also curious about what will happen. Oscar summons Jinn, who asks if he has a question for her. After a pause, an amazed Hazel tells Jinn his questions are already answered. 

He tells Oscar and Emerald he will do what his sister, Gretchen, would have done, which starts with getting the two of them away from Salem. Since moving the lamp now would trigger alarms throughout Monstra, Hazel says he'll come back for it later; without the password, Salem still can't use it. 

As they leave the room, a camouflaged figure peels off the wall, revealed to be Neopolitan. Removing her disguise, she moves towards the Relic.

(Jaune)pov

In the tunnels, I boost Ren's Aura as he masks their emotions while searching for Oscar. my Aura starts to deplete, so i suggests Ren focus simply on locating Oscar and give me directions so he can scout ahead for Grimm. 

After I leave, Yang jokingly comments that the two of them seem to have mended fences. Ren replies that she doesn't have to always hide her fear with humor, and both acknowledge that they are afraid, though Ren notes that i doesn't seem to share it. 

i suddenly rush back, forcing the three of them to hide as a Seer floats down the passage. However, Ren's Aura finally gives out and the Seer sends out an alert of our presence.

Elsewhere in Monstra, as "Hazel" asks Emerald if "he" will be alright on his own, they run into Salem. When she asks whether Hazel's gotten answers from Oscar yet, he stammers, drawing her suspicions. 

However, she is distracted by the sound of the Seers, alerting her to intruders inside Monstra. Angered, she orders Hazel and Emerald to find them and protect the Lamp, then rushes away.