chapter 42

(Ruby)pov

I have not slept, clearly still reeling from my depression. An explosion wakes everyone up; causing Jaune to explain that he's 'late'. We are confused by this, and why Jaune claims that he is late. 

We run to the town, and find one of the houses on fire. A village resident welcomes us to the village, and claims that they will serve us. we get confused about why this creature isn't panicking about the burning house. This creature then explains that they have a 'hero' to protect them.

Jaune stops the fire; causing more of the creatures to cheer. Jaune also explains how fires are a daily occurrence in the village. We also ask about the creatures found in the town. They are explained to be called the Paper Pleasers. 

He describes the Paper Pleasers as "hospitable" and "clumsy". Jaune also explains how the Paper Pleasers are named after everyone he knows from Remnant. A Paper Pleaser calling itself "Ruby" approaches us. They claim that they hate it. Jaune takes us over for brunch.

Jaune explains his whole plan to return home; he searches for Afterans on different acres who are able to take him home. we are confused by this, and ask if that's the plan. Jaune assures us that it is the plan. 

He introduces us to a daily schedule of every issue that happens to the village. He asks us if we can complete the schedule; rather than him doing it himself. Weiss explains how the tree will kill the group.

A Paper Pleaser walks up, and explains how the tree doesn't kill anyone; it just changes them as something different. The Paper Pleaser explains how they have tried to ascend through the tree, but Jaune has always put a stop to it. 

The paper decides to leave us be, and we discuss this new information. We claim that Jaune has lost his mind slightly (this is when he enters the house again). He storms out of the house, and is mad that we believe the Paper Pleasers and we follow Jaune.

Jaune stereotypes all Afterans; claiming that they're 'clever', 'stupid' or 'crazy'. Weiss asks if he only considers Afterans to be those; why does he protect the village? He explains that he is able to protect the pleasers; unlike the others he has faced in the past. 

Before we are able to continue the conversation; it is cut short by the Jabberwalker clones ripping Jaune's house. Jaune and my team both decide to fight the Jabberwalkers by working together. Yang and Blake work together, Jaune, Juniper, and Weiss all work together.

The scene then cuts to me just watching the battle; i am clearly on the verge of a mental collapse but i forced myself to try and fight. Before i can a Jabberwalker approaches me. i soon see visions of Cinder, Penny, and even Salem from the beats causing me to have trauma flashes and get pinned helplessly. 

The Jabberwalker opens its mouth to try and eat me before it is pushed back by my team. The Jabberwalker is then revealed to be Neopolitan. She points her fingers menacingly at me and then disappears. 

we are curious how Neo semblance evolved so much. Jaune however, is angry and asks me why i didn't help. He tries to give me my Crescent Rose, but i quickly steps back in fright, causing the group to finally realize something is wrong with me.

(Yang)pov

This moment is then cut short by the Paper Pleasers flooding the village. Jaune thinks that the Paper Pleasers are dead, but Weiss and I assure him that they will return; just changed into something different. 

we ask Ruby to comfort Jaune too, but little do we realize this would be the last straw for Ruby. She is mad about how we have cared more about everyone else's feelings or getting home, but we keep taking her mental health for granted and ignore her suffering.