Chapter fifty eight

Annetta's POV

When you truly want something, you should fight for it.

That's what my sister Adriana taught me because it's what she had done most of her life. She wanted her true love and she fought and fought, no matter how much it broke her down. She taught me to fight and never give up, to always have a goal to reach because in the end, it'll be so worth it.

Everything in life is worth it until it turns ugly, until it's no longer worthy, until it starts to hurt you.

Two weeks. The past two weeks was a blur, I felt nothing worse than the days in these past two weeks. But in these two weeks, I've learnt to move forward, accept my situation and leave the past behind because there was no going back. That was my goal, to not look back and crumble apart every time I think about the day I said I needed more time. The day he left me at the hospital and never returned, the day he spoke to me of his last words.

When I said I needed time, I knew my answer wouldn't change. I loved Fabio so much, but not enough to risk my life in a marriage with him. He was not sane to ask for a marriage or be in one, I've done it before, I wouldn't do it again. I've thought about my decision over countless times, I even re-considered but the fear I felt never went away like I was hoping it would. It's hard to accept the situation because I was never prepared. If you can't accept your current situation then how could you build your future? It was impossible, there was no future like this.

On the brighter side of things, Lorenzo was caught again after he managed to flee from the authorities the day I left him to die. Dante informed me that he was in their capture but I didn't know anything else because I told Dante that I didn't want to know anymore. I had a list of things to worry about and Lorenzo was not even remotely on that list. If he was captured and in Dante's hostage, then I knew I was safe. I knew everyone around me was safe. The situation made me feel a little dishearten though, it wasn't so much about the situation, it was the fact that Dante and Tony informed me, and Fabio was nowhere to be seen.

Though I promised myself to move forward, I still wanted to see him. I couldn't escape him when there was a literal part of him growing inside of me. My heart hurts when I think about that day and his words, how much he expressed that he wanted to be a part of my baby's life yet I haven't seen him for two weeks. And now, I had no idea where he was.

Nobody knows anything, but they know that Fabio asked me to marry him. I'm beginning to feel that everybody knows the reason of Fabio's disappearance, and they think it's because I rejected his proposal, which it is exactly that. But regarding the pregnancy, nobody knew, surprisingly. When I was released from the hospital, Leo picked me up and brought me home. At first, I was glad to see him because I'd rather be with anyone but Fabio but when hours turned into days, I was beginning to worry. What if Fabio did something to himself and we had no idea? Where is he? Why isn't anybody concerned about his whereabouts?

I addressed my concerns to both Dante and Tony but they seemed to dismiss it. They told me that Fabio often does that when he needs to relax or put his mind off things but I knew that wasn't the case. Fabio didn't go away to relax, he went away because I pushed him away.

My hand rests on my flat stomach, hoping to find some sort of ease as I think about Fabio. He may not be here in my presence but there was a little part of him inside of me that gave me the slightest amount of ease. But then, I felt overwhelmed. It's as if suddenly, I felt something more, something I've been lacking for two whole weeks. I didn't need visual confirmation to know this, but the heat of his presence waves across my entire existence, I'm alerted. And so, I quickly open my eyes to finally see him. Standing between my door, hands in his pockets while he examines me with his gaze.