Chapter fifty six

Annetta's PoV

I was tired. Sick. Hurt. Emotional. Why though? Why do I feel so weak? It felt like as if my knees would buckle until I was summoned to the ground. But the thought was appealing, laying down actually could impact the way I feel right now. I needed my head to touch something as I lay still because it was spinning. Spinning from anger, a lot of it but also, sadness, confusion, sorrow and . . . anger.

I never cry. I was taught to man up. Growing up, I've always learnt to just deal with it. Any minor or major convenience happens to take place, I shut it out completely. It's what I exactly did when I moved away to California and didn't hear a word from my mamma because she was too occupied with my sister. Sure, I had thoughts that maybe she was too busy, or maybe my sister deserved all my mamma's attention considering what she'd been through because of papà but . . . there was a but. Adriana wasn't my mamma's only daughter, she had me too. It made me feel all sorts of anger, different levels if it was possible but I managed to use that pent up anger to build a wall so high, that it was impossible for anybody to climb it, reach over it and get to me.

But Fabio managed to make me cry on multiple occasions. It was embarrassing. Situations like this shouldn't make me cry because I was stronger than this. But today proved otherwise. As much as I hate even thinking about it, if Destefano was alive today, he'd have laughed in my face.

Nurturing wasn't easy, I was a tough child. An obstinate. Destefano hated disciplining in the correct way, which was the reason why he'd pull out his pistol anytime he thought I deserved a lesson, it only traumatise me more yet given me the strength to learn, kick back, fight back and eventually, kill just like him. I shudder, the thought that I'm capable of doing things just like him makes my skin crawl. But nurturing me was easy, according to Destefano. But then, he contradicts quite a lot. All those years of nurturing had gone to waste because I let one thing break me.

Fabio.

Maybe, I lead it on too much. Maybe, I expected too much. Or maybe, I fucked up.

A scowl rushed out of my lips when I blink to the ground, tears were fresh as they begged to roll down my face. I wipe my face and stare ahead, only then, realisation dawned upon me that we were far from solving a situation we had temporarily forgotten about.

"How many times has the bastardo broken your heart?" Lorenzo chuckles. Even Lorenzo can detect it and it hurt even more. He stood in front of me, barely able to stand straight. I examine him in the little time I didn't give a shit. I was over this, Lorenzo could die for all I care, Maria could die too but, after I gift her the fuck of her life for messing with what's mine.

I wasn't scared of Lorenzo, especially when he stood in front of me, black and blue. All his empty threats encouraged the idea that this dick was incapable of everything he says he will do. But, he had a gun in his hand which was pointing at me, completely different to what he actually does. I stare at the gun and release a tear unintentionally, my eyes drifts towards Lorenzo who had a sinister smile painted across his face. I thought, this bastard was dead. I thought wrong, Fabio didn't do a great job after all because he was still alive.

"I thought Fabio killed you." I sneer, "Looks like he didn't do a great job. I must do something."

"Ah ah ah!" Lorenzo pipes the second I lurch forward to pounce him. I was not scared of him. "That's not the smartest decision to make right now, is it hermosa?" He chuckles, a mist of evil runs across his eyes, casting a malicious glance. I didn't move because for once, I believed something that came out of this motherfucker's mouth. A shiver ran along my spine when I glare at Lorenzo, he looked gruesome. Blood messed his face, seeped through his clothes and onto whatever was underneath him. When I glare at him long enough, I realised that his gaze had followed something behind me. "Has he broken your heart enough to make him suffer?"