Chapter thirty five

Annetta's POV

It was reaching close to twenty five years since I've entered this burdensome world, and not a day goes by without a mishap. Of course, my life was created for me to live like this but I wasn't complaining about that, only that it's not going fast enough for it to be over already.

My nose twitched when I felt a chilly breeze run past my face and suddenly, I was aware. My guard had risen, my senses were heightened and my brain switched right on. Immediately, I sensed that I probably was not in my apartment or at the estate because I remember all the events before this. I stir a little, gathering myself before I open my eyes but as I do, I feel the obvious restriction placed on my body. My whole body was tied to the chair I was on.

I blink and freeze on the chair, inspecting myself, searching for any other surprises but found none. I groan when I move my wrists, a burning sensation forms between my skin and the rough, thick band of rope, making me hiss.

"You probably should not do that."

Startled, I push my chin up and search for the voice that penetrated my ear. The voice was rich with a heavy accent, an Italian accent, deep and guttural. For a second, I thought I was hearing things because my mind was foggy, I was disoriented. I wasn't quite there yet from my unconscious state but when I felt movement, I throw my head towards my right side and meet with a face I actually did not expect, for the second time.

"W-What are you doing here?" I ask him, fumbling with my words because firstly, he was not supposed to be here with me and secondly, this was my first ever interaction with him. Meanwhile, I scrutinise him for a quick second and to my utmost surprise, he was too tied up to a chair just like me.

"I could ask you the same." Constantino mused. "Though, I did expect your father to put you in such a situation."

I look away and for some reason, I felt a slight bit of humiliation stirring within me because it felt as though Constantino was judging me for having an absolute shit of a father. But then, I felt better because Constantino was actually the same.

"Well, you have no place to judge. You are just as fucked up as he is." I spit, a sudden spite of rage overwhelms me when I was reminded of what he caused my sister, a miserable life. Constantino glanced at me and scoffed.

"You don't know me."

"I don't need to know you to identify you as a shit father." I spew, "The fact that I found you here, with my father says enough, doesn't it?" I glare at him and find myself breathless because of how vexed I was. For a moment, it felt as though I was waiting for a reply as I glare at him but really, I was glaring at him to read him. It was obvious Dante was his son, they were very much alike. I was trying to dig my way under that blank expression. It was hard, just like his wife. I could not read the Lombardi's, they resembled a brick fucking wall.

"You do not know me," he repeats, "you also don't know the reason for my visit. Now you can see, that I made a mistake. Destefano does not see that. Your father and I are different."

"Oh per favore," I scoff, cutting him off. "Please stop saying that. You have a family that no longer wants to associate with you. You're in contact with the man that wants to swipe your family off the earth. You created a mess and now abandoned everyone to deal with your consequences."

"What do you even know? What do you know about the mafia, donna?" Constantino mumbled. I sensed his irritation and figured that I hit a nerve but it was the least of my worries. In fact, I should be looking for an escape, instead of conversing with an ex-Italian mafia don that failed and failed, time and time and probably fucks up to search for validation because his own sons can't stand him.