Chapter two

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ this chapter is intended for 18+ readers.

Annetta's POV

My jaw ached but I didn't think it would be possible for it to hurt this much. People liked to get on my nerves today, everything about today just went down hill.

I glare at my phone and wait for the notification I was dreading, I didn't want to hear from him today but after our encounter that night, I actually had no choice.

"Do as you're told or I will report back to your father."

As his voice invades my thoughts, I give him a side-ways glare. The nerve of this man was shocking, the fact that he thought he would last was incredible because I knew he wouldn't. I roll my eyes before I glance at him once again, the small space between us was uncomfortable but we were in a car so there was no escape from this. When I glance at him, Mario stares right back at me, though as if he was challenging me.

"So what's your deal with my father?" I ask, a silent sigh rushed past his lips as the car came to a gentle stop and then he rested his sunglasses on his head.

"There is no deal between me and your father," he answers, his strong Italian accent matched mine as he faces me, "he is like family to me."

"Family?" I scoff before I laugh, "I'm sorry to break it to you amico but family doesn't mean shit to Destefano. He will drop you the second he gets what he desires."

And it was true. Despite the fact that he was this loving and caring father to me and Adriana whilst we were growing up, something suddenly changed. He became selfish, violent, greedy and ugly, I no longer recognised him.

Mario watched me with a bored expression as I continue to laugh at his foolishness. He rests back on his seat and then glances at me once again.

"Not everything is about you Annetta. This is important to me. Destefano has been family to me more than than these people that are in my life right now, has ever been."

Wow.

Talk about betrayal.

"Aren't you afraid that you might get caught?" I ask. I eye Mario once again hoping that he would answer me because I was genuinely interested to know what he would do once the Lombardis find out what he is up to because as far as I know, he won't be a walking and talking man.

"No because that's where you become useful to us." He smiles at me, his huge smile revealed his white pearly teeth. "You're going to make sure that never happens. Actually, I can also ask you the same question, aren't you afraid to be caught?"

He was right. I was intimidated by the thought but I knew I wouldn't get caught. I learnt to do these things with my father as I was growing up.

"Yeah, no. I'm not going to join you on your rollercoaster of fucking death wishes. If you want to play this off cool, you're going to listen to me-"

"Annetta, I don't think you're in any position to throw demands at me."

"Mario, I don't think you're in any position to control the situation when you fucked up the second you pulled the damn trigger and shot Dante, like a fucking idiota."

And it was true, Mario was in no place to tell me what to do when he lost his privilege of going to the estate. When I found out that he was responsible of shooting Dante that day, his own boss, I was in disbelief. This was all crazy, too much for me to even comprehend because I was conflicted. Actually, I had no choice.