Chapter thirteen

Annetta's POV

Staring blankly at myself through my reflection in the mirror, I comb my straightened hair and lock in all my emotions. What should I feel anyway? Happiness? Happiness from what? My marriage? My lack of freedom? Isolation. Emotions ran high. Most of which were anger, intense anger and hatred. I had no idea one could hate a person like such but it seems as though it possible because life is unexpected.

Very unexpected.

Some days I appreciate the peace from being away from everybody and on other days, my worst days, I remember that I married a malicious mafia man.

Get over it Annetta.

Yeah... I should. I can and I will.

Inhaling a deep breath, I drop my face and instantaneously feel the loss of the tension that made it's place, it's home in the muscles in my face. I remind myself that I was not going to let this become a set back for me, instead, I'm going to use it to my advantage. I'm a strong woman, I will not allow a man to use and abuse me like that.

I should stand up for myself, not because of him but because of Destefano too. He too was the same, using me to his advantage and the only unfortunate thing about that was that I did not realise this sooner. Had I realised sooner, maybe I would not be where I am today. I would be in California, with Seth living my American dream.

The world is my oyster? No fuck that, the world is my enemy.

Fuck you world!

I stood up on my feet and clench my fists, a sense of annoyance fills me when I glance behind me through my reflection in the mirror and wondered for the nth time today, where the fuck I could be but I still had no idea. It's been a few days and Fabio still has not disclosed our location.

One advantage I received from residing at this place was the views, it helped me with my anxiety. It was beautiful, sunny and exotic and it made me realise that we were definitely on a island and knowing Fabio, it had to be an isolated one.

As I linger in my thoughts, a knock startled me. I throw my gaze to the door and scrutinise it for a moment because it has been a couple of days since I've last saw him. I debated with myself whether I should open that door or not because quite frankly, I didn't want to see him. My blood boiled whenever I did.

By the time I snapped out of my reverie, I found myself standing in front of the door and so, I reach for the door and open it. Much to my surprise, it wasn't Fabio.

Grazie Dio.

A man I have never seen in my entire life stood in front of me. For a second, I thought I was hallucinating because as far as I know, the only people in this bungalow was me and Fabio. Fabio isolated us from everyone and everything until I gave in and accepted to work with him to take my father down. I still haven't agreed, or even given him am answer hence why, the continuous isolation. Motherfùcker. He threaten to keep me here forever because he was capable of doing that, since nobody is aware of our whereabouts. He also claimed that no one was here to save me but him and even if I asked him, he would debate on it.

My eyes widens with surprise for a second when realisation settled in me, this man was definitely here to take me. He was dressed in a chauffeurs outfit, in this heat which made me slightly remorseful, only a tiny bit. He was old but not too old and expressionless like the rest of them, and it bothered me.

"Ciao?" I greet in a questioning tone, my gaze wonders around as I look for him but he wasn't around. "chi sei?"

"Signora, I'm here to take you to your next location. Are you ready?"