diecisiete

Things had been tense.

Far more than tense.

Cordelia now spent her days in endless concern for Bella. Alongside Rosalie, she had taken to taking care of Bella. Edward had been nothing but a source of guilt and anger so Cordelia stepped in for him.

Just a few hours ago, Carlisle informed Bella that a rib of hers had been splintered. Cordelia knew what was happening, but she had to hope Bella could hold on so she wiped Bella's tears and helped Rose prepare Bella a shower.

A football game was on now and the family was loitering around Bella who laid on the couch. She no longer slept in peace, her face was always scrunched up in discomfort and that discomfort was present throughout the house. Nobody had fed in weeks. The flat eyes of her family worried Cordelia. Not because she thought they didn't have self-control but because she knew how crucial it was for everyone to be on their toes.

Especially for when Bella delivered.

Bella's body trembled and she scowled, she woke up to clutch her sweater closer. "Are you cold?" Edward asked. "We got it," Cordelia and Jacob said.

Jacob lay on one side of Bella and Cordelia let Bella lay her head in her lap. She was careful not to unplug or mess with the IV attached to Bella's hand. It wasn't doing much and they all knew that but to Carlisle, it was a comfort. He was truly making an effort to figure out a way to nurse Bella to health and to work out what the child desired. 

Bella shuddered in delight. "You guys .. so warm." Cordelia massaged Bella's bony back, her spine in between Cordelia's fingertips, "personal heaters if you will." Bella cracked a smile before suddenly sitting up and Edward pulled out the nearby trash can ready for her. They learned quickly that when Bella was going to puke, she was going to puke.

Cordelia and Jacob kept rubbing at her back as she panted.

Nothing came and Esme winced, "we need to find a way to get food into her system."

"If only I could see the fetus .." "The baby .." "Maybe I could figure out what it wants."

Cordelia frowned as Bella staggered back into her warmth. She didn't have many memories of being in the womb although her brain was developed enough to be able to remember it. She recalled the sound of her mother's voice, when she wanted out, and she also remembered the feeling of being hungry.

Starving really.

Edward broke Cordelia out her thoughts, "think you might be right .. Jacob just had an idea." "Idea?" Cordelia was astonished by Jacob even trying for a solution. "It wasn't an idea. It was a snide comment." "Figures," she said with a frown and he patted her hand with a sorry smile.

"What were you thinking?" "That it's probably just looking for someone to sink its teeth into." Everyone paled in the room, aside from Cordelia whose mother had still been cooking for her on a day-to-day basis.

"He's thirsty," Bella said with an apologetic smile. She had so much adoration for this child, who Bella thought was a boy but Cordelia hoped for a girl, she was totally not biased.

Bella had always had this infatuation for otherworldly things. The fact that she ended up in a family like Cordelia's only proves that. To be carrying a life that is unlike any other was beyond otherworldly. Cordelia felt that Bella should have some pride in herself, she was doing it and she was doing it well. Not once did she complain, she only loved.

"I know the feeling," Emmett mumbled. "If it's craving it's not going to want animal blood," Edward spoke before a faint smile came to his lips, "just like Cordelia." She gleamed and hoped that this could indicate to her brother that the it in Bella's stomach was just like her.