ii.

𝐈𝐒𝐘𝐒 𝐍𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐀 𝐌𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟒, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟒, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐

"Deadass yall this nigga ate the fuck outta my cookie then when he got done he sitting there looking at me like he was waiting for something."

I chewed on a sweetart rope as Essence told us what happened the night before. The sun beamed down on my back from behind me causing me to constantly shift in my seat. It was too hot to be sitting outside like we some explorer scouts.

"So I'm looking at him and I'm like wassup with you. Why this nigga say some damn I thought you was finna retwist my dreads fa me??" I laughed as she said that, almost choking on the sweet candy in my mouth.

"I told that nigga, sike ion know how to retwist no fawking dreads. Made ya eat!"

"That's fucked up E." Korin wheezed, hitting my arm as she laughed causing me to scrunch my face up.

I hate when people feel the need to hit while they laughing.

"Alright now." I side-eyed her, pulling out another rope from the package and snatching a big bite. My peach calypso sitting on my uncovered legs, the condensation on the side of the glass dripping down the inside of my thighs.

It was a Friday afternoon and we were waiting on Journey to get out of school. Out of the 5 of us, she was the only one still in high school.

"What time is it?"

"2:05"

"We minuswell go get Journey now."

"Minuswell."

"Stay off tiktok." Noe laughed at us as we all silently agreed to go get Journey and I grabbed the cold calypso bottle from my lap before standing up.

"I wonder what my bubba's doing rn." I spoke silently, more to myself than anyone else. Rolling my eyes, I heard the sound of sighs and groans from everybody else. "What???"

"Bubba this. Bubba that. Damn Nai you need to live in his skin at this point."

"This is my first time saying something about him."

"In the last 10 minutes! You just called him like half an hour ago."

I decided not to respond, throwing my empty chip bag into the trash before making my way to the car. I didn't try to do it on purpose, it was just a force of habit I had picked up on over the years. No matter what, I was always worrying about where Kahsan was at and what he was doing.

"I'm getting in the front." Kori spoke, shimmying her way down the sidewalk to the passenger side of the car and getting in.

"Who driving?"

"Definitely not me." I spoke before pouring a bunch of sunflower seeds into my hand and made my way to the backseat. "Yall better say 1,2,3 not it."

"Niggas said 1,2,3 not it." Kori laughed loudly, reaching her hand back so that I could pour some of the seeds into it to which I obliged as we watched Noe and Essence play rock, paper, scissors over who would be driving.