Chapter 36: Awake ✔️

It was dark.

Darkness surrounded me and the only thing I could hear was the beeping of the machines around me. I felt something warm pressed against the palm of my hand, something else wrappd around my wrist, holding it up.

I don't know what it was that I was touching, but I felt drawn to it, like my hand needed to be closer. So I moved my hand to feel the warmth better, but whatever I was holding moved and a voice called out from somewhere in the darkness, calling my name.

"Aly?" The voice called and something inside me clicked.

I knew that voice. It was him. It was my Matty.

"Matty." I whispered, opening my eyes to look at the white walls of a hospital room. Turning my head to my left, I smiled groggily at a shocked looking Matt. "Hey Matty Baby."

Matt seemed frozen as he watched me, his eyes glued to me as if he wasn't beleving what he was witnessing.

"Matt, what's wrong?" I asked conserned, taking my hand away from his face. This seemed to snap him out of his shock because he just quickly stood up and rushed out of the room, leaving me alone.

"Well OK then?" I muttered, confused, watching after him.

What the hell was that all about? Did I have something on my face? Was my hair a mess? Did I say something?

A couple minutes later Matt came running back into the room, followed by Will and a nurse I forgot the name of.

Helen I think?

"Well, hello sleeping beauty." Will chuckled as his eyes landed on me.

"What's going on, Matt ran out so fast, he looked so freaked, what did I miss? I only fell a sleep for a few hours." I questioned as I sat myself up, carefully, looking between the the three stood before me.

"Aly, you've been in a coma, for 6 weeks." Matt explained as Will grabbed my chart and began running tests, shining a light in my eyes, checking my pulse and blood pressure. You know, the usual.

I looked up at my boyfriend, shocked. How did I not know I was in a coma, I...

"Everything looks good here, I'm gonna have them run a few tests but hopefully you should be good to head home in a few days." Will spoke, interupting my thoughts.

"Thanks doc." Matt nodded.

"Wait, what happened? How did I slip into a coma? I was fine." I asked Will, holding my hand out for his file. He just chuckled, handing it to me, letting me look over it.

"Subdural hematoma, we missed it in the original CT because it was a really slow bleed, but we caught it in time. It was small so we managed to get it out pretty quickly." He explained as I read the charts.

"But you managed to slip into a coma in the surgary and we didn't know how long it would be before you woke up." Matt finished, sitting back in his seat by my bed. Will nodded and wondered out of my room, probably to get to work on whatever tests he needed from me.

"I'm really sorry, I put you all through that." I sighed, closing the file and looking over at Matt. "Especally you, I'm so sorry baby, you have no idea." I sobbed, reaching out for Matts hand. He smiled softly and grabbed a hold of mine, once again placing it to his cheek, placing a soft kiss on my palm, making me smile sadly at him.

"Hey, it doesn't matter now, you're awake and all that mtters now is that you're OK and I'm never leaving your side again." He sighed, clearly relieved that things were looking up.

"Still, I'm really sorry Matt, it must have hard... awful even." I smiled sadly at him. He nodded slowly and my hand and looked down.

"I was lost without you Aly." He stated sadly, tears building in his eyes as he looked over to me, his eyes scanning my face. "I couldn't sleep, I had to be forced to eat and drink by Severide and the girls. If I wasn't at work, I was here. That was my life without you and I sure as hell don't want to do that again." He chuckled at the end.