Chapter 10: OR's and Q&A's ✔

The second I stepped into the ER I ordered a nurse to get me my scrubs and another to set up an OR immediately. I clocked back in and I stayed by the boys side until I was swept away to an OR, clean scrubs in my hand and rattling out instructions to every member of staff I had on my team.

In my time here I had gotten the hang of thing quickly and it didn't take me long to get a reputation in surgery. I was a trauma surgeon, I worked better under pressure and there is no greater pressure that somebody's life in my hands.

Nurses and doctors soon learned how I work and pretty soon I got into a routine. I need an OR, I ask for one and I get one as soon as it's available.

"Let's get him on the table, we got a long day a head of us." I told the nurses.

It took a while but I finally had him on the table and removed the bullet from his chest and stitched him up, moving on to the next. It wasn't a difficult procedure, I had removed a million bullets before but when I pulled the final bullet out machines started beeping, quickly.

"BP's dropping, quickly." One of the nurses yelled and I looked around the open abdomen, trying to look through all the blood.

"There has to be a bleed, I just, can't find where it's coming from." I yelled.

"Suction!" I yelled. A plastic tube was placed in my line of sight, extracting the remaining blood.

"I see the bleed" I informed the others and I quickly got to work, stopping it and the stitching the kid up, after checking for any other damages.

"OK, we've done all we can do, get him to a room and we will keep an eye in him." I ordered. The men and women around me nodded and chatted as I left leaving the boy on the sorted by the team.

"Hey," I heard Will call as I walked out of the elevator and back onto the ER floor.

"Hey, you're OK." I smiled thankfully as I pulled him into a hug.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He assured me. "How's the kid?"

"Stable, we did everything we could, now all we can do is wait." I shrugged and he nodded.

"Oh, so, it looks like you're gonna get to meet my brother after all."

"And why is that?" I asked curiously.

"He's working the case of our 9yr old John Doe. He's waiting in the break room to ask you some questions."

"Then I shall head that way." I smiled. I said my goodbyes to Will and wondered into the break room where I found a man younger than Will but with strikingly similar features to my best friend.

"You must be Detective Halstead?" I spoke up, making myself known.

"And you must be Dr Lindsay. Will mention you a few times, told me how much you looked like Erin...he's wasn't wrong." He smiled kindly.

"Well, we are twins, only major differences in appearance is the hair." I laughed taking a seat at the table, Jay following suit.

"So, You were at the crime scene earlier." He asked, getting back on track and I nodded.

"Yeah."

"Can you tell me what you saw?"

"Sure." I nodded. "I didn't really see much, I was walking down the street with Will, Nat and April, chatting. We heard an gun shot and we hit the floor. A couple more shots rang out and then it was quiet. I looked around, noticed the kid lying there so I ran over. Will was yelling at me to come back but I just kept going."

"Did you see the shooter?"

"I'm not 100% sure, but i did see someone running away, he was dressed in black but I didn't see his face. I'd say around 5-6 feet. I'm usually good at figuring out heights but the person was running fast and I was too focused on the boy bleeding out to pay any more attention."

"So, the suspect disappeared round the corner?" Jay asked and I shrugged.

"I think so, but like I said, I was paying more attention to the kid." I smiled.

"We, thank you, for your help Dr. Lindsay if you can think of anything else, please, give me a call."

"Will do, Detective." I smiled kindly at him. He let out a chuckle and nodded.

"Call me Jay."

"Well then Jay, Call me AJ."

I hope to see you again soon." He smiled as we stood up. I nodded and shook his hand before we left the break room and I noticed the time.

"Time to go." April called as she walked over. I nodded thankfully and followed her.

"So, any plans tonight?" She asked as we entered the locker room

"Movie and beer and sleep." I answered as I opened it up and changed.

"Sounds entertaining." Will interrupted sarcastically. I stuck my tongue out and grabbed my jacket.

"Yes, well, what can I say, I'm a simple girl, it doesn't take much to make me happy." I grinned.

"So how you getting home? I didn't see your car this morning?" Natalie asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, it died so I got a left in, I'm being picked up." I lied.

"Truth was, last night Matt and I had fallen asleep watching TV at the Firehouse (which was an accident but I guess Boden wasn't that bothered because he didn't wake us.) so I stayed there on his bed and this morning, after breakfast I grabbed a ride to Med from Gabby and Sylvie who spent the whole ride asking questions about Matt and I.

"Who's picking you up?" Will asked as we stepped outside only his question was answered when we heard a honk of a horn and we looked over to see Matt Casey's truck parked up.

"And I'm assuming you, Movie, beer and sleep plans also involve Matt Casey?" April smirked nudging me. I rolled my eyes and waved good bye, climbing into the truck.

"Hey." He smiled as he put the truck into gear and began driving.

"Hi."

"Gabby told me what happened, you OK?"

"I'm good, the kid is good everything is good." I smiled at him as he drove.

"You still wanna stay in and watch a movie?"

"God yes. You still joining me?"

"Wouldn't miss it."