Chapter 1: Starting A New Chapter In My Life ✔

Being back in Chicago was nerve wracking, while waiting at baggage claim for my luggage, my mind began racing. It had been almost ten years since I left Chicago and I wasn't sure I was going to get the best welcome from my sister and our foster father.

You see nearly ten years ago my foster mother passed away, cancer, and I couldn't find the strength to stick around with out her. She was my rock in this world and when I lost her, I packed up and moved 3000 miles away to England for a job at a hospital in Manchester.

I kept in touch with My sister and foster family, Hank Voight and his son Justin and occasional Hank visited me in Manchester, Justin too after he got out of prison but I always made excuses as to why I couldn't make it back home it visit. Even for my Foster brothers funeral.

Truth was it hurt too much just thinking about coming home and not seeing Camille smiling at me as I told her about my day. Erin was always close with Hank, they had a father daughter bond that nobody could break. I was closer to Camille, she helped me keep my grades up, helped me decide what I wanted to do with my life and she is the reason I became a doctor. Don't get me wrong, Erin, Justin and I were close, like siblings, like we'd known each other since birth and Hank and Camille love us, helped us, protected us all the same.

I spotted my bags on the belt and I grabbed them, throwing one over my shoulder and pulling the other behind me, my hand luggage in my hand. Feeling my phone buzz in my pocket I stopped walking and pulled it out. I noticed it was my Ex so I dropped the call and continued outside to grab a cab.

I waited a couple minutes before one pulled up and the driver climbed out and helped me put my bags in the trunk.

"So, where to?" The cabby asked and I smiled at her, giving her my new address before climbing into the cab.

"So, is this the first time visiting the city?" She asked as we pulled out of the airport.

"No, actually, I was born and raised here." I smiled at her from my seat in the back.

"Sorry, I heard the accent and I just assumed." She explained.

"I left Chicago about ten years ago, moved to Manchester, England, had a great job offer I couldn't pass up." Talking to the cabby some made me feel a little less nervous being home and I relaxed as we chatted like old friends as she drove.

"So, Alice, what do you do?" About ten minutes in we exchanged names, I felt a little uncomfortable telling my life story to a woman I didn't even know the name of.

She was called Carol, she grew up not far from where I lived with Bunny and Erin and she had two kids, a girl, Sophia aged 11 and a boy, Brandon, aged 16.

"I'm a trauma surgeon, at Chicago Med, well I will be, starting in a couple days."

"Wow, sounds like that's a tough job, how do you handle that?" She wondered, turning down my street.

"It's tough, but I get by. I try not to get involved with their lives out side of the ER, but usually a glass of wine after a long shift is always appreciated. " I chuckled.

"Yeah, I appreciate a glass or two myself after a long day." Carol joked as she pulled up outside of my new house.

"Well, here you are, that'll be $10." She smiled turning towards me. I handed her the money and we climbed out, walking over to the trunk. I pulled out the bags and Carol and I said our goodbyes and I walked up to my front door.

It wasn't nothing big, my house, it was simple, two story high, red brick wall, a small staireway up the the front door. I let out a sigh and walked over, pulling the giant Case behind me. The case seemed heavier the closer I got to the stairs.

Letting out I sigh I took my first step and pulled the case behind me. About three steps in my case slipped from my hand and fell back down to the bottom. I huffed as I climbed the rest of the way up, placed my other bag and hand luggage by the front door before I turned to walk back down to pick up my bag but stopped when I saw someone already bent down to pick it up.

He stood up and I noticed the Chicago Fire Department shirt he wore. He was tall, blonde, with the brightest green eyes I'd ever seen. He smiled at me and I melted a little.

"This yours?" He asked, his voice soft, a slight cheerful note to the sound of it.

"Yeah, it wasn't doing what I needed it to. I needed some space." I joked and he nodded thoughtfully, a low chuckled in his throat.

"Well, allow me." He smiled. Lifting the case up and stepping closer.

"Thanks..." I smiled, waiting for him to give me his name.

"Matthew, Casey. But you can call me Matt" He smiled, holding his hand out. I took it and shook it.

"Alice-jane Lindsay, but most people call me Alice, or AJ." I smiled.

"Lindsay? You any relation to Erin Lindsay?" He wondered.

"My twin sister." I informed him. He nodded and stood watching me, waiting.

"So..."

"Oh, crap yeah, sorry." I laughed awkwardly as I turned to my door and fished the keys out of the plant pot where I had asked the realtor to leave them this morning.

I opened the door and bent down to pick up my bag and luggage only to see my hand luggage was left. I turned to see Matt had picked up my other bag.

"You moving back then?" He asked as I lead him into my empty house, through to the living room.

"Back?"

"Erin told me you lived in England for work, you're a doctor right?" He asked as he placed the bag and case on my floor.

"Yeah, I am, a doctor and moving back home." I laughed. "Got a job starting next week, at Chicago Med."

"Well, good luck with everything. I live just down the road, so if you need anything, feel free to drop by." He smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind." I smiled. Matt soon left and I began unpacking. Well what ever I could, a lot of my stuff was still to arrive next week but I had what I needed.

I had bought the house furnished, so a lot of the rooms already had furniture and my realtor had done me a favour and got me a new bed delivered so I had a place to sleep when I arrived.

I sat on the sofa in the living room and pulled out my phone. When I decided to move back here I had decided not to tell anybody yet, mostly because I wanted to surprise Hank, but a small part of me didn't want to tell them incase I changed my mind.

I pulled out my phone and took a deep breath, scrolling through my contacts until I landed on the name I wanted, pressing the call button. I got his voice mail so I left a message.

Hey, Old man, so listen I'm in town we need to talk. Meet me at the small cafe close to PD, you know which one, an hour? I'll see you there."

I ended the call and put the phone in my pocket before standing up and grabbing some clothes from my bag, as well as a wash kit so I could shower.