Chapter 28: It's Easier Now ✔

Saturday soon came around and I was excited to say the least.

This morning I skipped my morning shower, knowing I would shower later, and pulled my hair up into a messy bun.

I just changed into a simple band t-shirt and skinny jeans, along with my converse and left for work.

Late in the morning a young boys was brought in, GSW. I did what I could as Trauma surgeon to save his life but there wasn't a lot I could do for him. or so I was told.

After a couple hours I managed to stabilise him and had him moved to the ICU.

Once out of the OR I changed and walked into the break room where I saw my Ex and my sister in deep conversation.

"Erin, it's not like we dropped by for a cup of coffee and a chat. It's a case, she has to talk to us." Jay huffed. I walked in and passed them.

"Coffee?" I offered, as if I hadn't heard them. I turned to see them both staring at me so I shrugged. "OK, well, I need coffee so..." I poured the coffee into my cup and I sat down at the table where the two sat still watching me.

"So, what do you need to know?" I asked smiling at them.

When I heard that Erin and Jay were working my patents case, I had decided that I would be Civil to the too. I mean I know they hurt me but now my life was better, I was with Matt and we had a date tonight.

"First if all, what's with you?" Erin asked sceptically.

"What do you mean?"

"Two weeks ago you hated us, you could nearly look at us when we came to ask about a case. Now, you're smiling and acting as if nothing happened?" She observed and I looked at her, a raised eyebrow.

"Detective Lindsey, you are here to talk about a case, not my feelings towards you and my EX, so Please, can we get on with it." I huffed. Erin was taken aback for a second but quickly nodded as she looked down at her case notes.

"So, what can you tell us about the victim?"

"Male, young adult, early 20's, GSW to the abdomen, no exotic wound I took the bullet out, it was given to an officer as evidence. There was major damage to most vital organs, I managed to repair most of the damage. The boys is stable and in the ICU so I'm afraid there is can't talk tol him as of yet." I told the two detectives as they wrote down everything I said.

"Was there anything distinctive about the kid that could help us ID him?" Jay asked and I nodded.

"He had a tattoo, on his right him, Donna jo Marshall 1979-2013. Judging by the age of the boy and the dates, this Donna Jo Marshall could be his mother, or an aunt. I dont k ow about you two, but when I get a tattoo, it usually has a greater meaning to me." I explained. "If I was to have a persons name tattooed on my body, they'd have to mean a heck of a lot to me."

"I'll have Ruzek fine out what he can." Jay announce as he stood up and left the room, leaving Erin and I alone.

"So..." I spoke awkwardly.

"I'm sorry A. I really am." She blurted out. I nodded, taking her hand and smiling sadly.

"I know you are E, but you hurt me, a lot and I can't just forget about it that easily. I mean I was ready to leave town because seeing you and Jay together just hurt to much."

"You were gonna leave again?" She asked, hurt in her voice and I nodded.

"I had an offer in Seattle, I had seen you and Jay three times in one day and I just felt sick everytime. So I was ready to go, to leave it all behind."

"What made you stay?" She asked. I heard the door open and in walked Jay and Will.

"Will, Natalie, April...all the friends I had made since being back in town." I shrugged.

"And Matt?" Erin wondered and I smiled slightly.

"Yeah, Matt is a big part of the reason I stayed. I wasn't going to let my anger at you two drive me away from the people I loved."

"And now?" Jay asked.

"Now, what?"

"Do you still have a problem with us being together?"

"I don't have a problem with you two being together Jay. It's what you did in order to be together that I have a problem with." I informed him and he looked down at the ground in guilt.

"But, it's easier now, to see you together, now that..." I began but hushed.

"Now that what?" Erin quizzed curiously.

"Now that she has a date with Captain Casey of the CFD." Will butt in and I glared at him.

"Look, whether I'm with Matt or not has nothing to do with this conversation." I huffed standing up and washing my coffee mug.

"That didn't take long." Jay muttered and I turned around and rose an eyebrow at him.

"It took about about six weeks longer than it took you to crawl into bed with my sister." I snapped and I saw guilt flash in his eyes. "Sorry, that was uncalled for."

"No, we're sorry we hurt you like that." Erin spoke up and I nodded.

"Do you think you could ever forgive us?" She asked and I shrugged.

"Maybe in the future it won't hurt as much and I can finally have a casual conversation without picturing you two in bed while I was locked up with my Psycho EX. But right now, I'm not ready for that." I sighed.

"I'm sorry A, I really am." Erin sniffled, tears threatening to fall.

"I know E. Just, give me some time, OK. I might be putting on a brave face right now and being civil. But you broke my heart and it's not gonna be fixed by a simple 'I'm sorry' ."

Erin nodded and I left the room, to work, catching one last glimpse of my sister as she left the hospital. She sent me a sad smile and I nod, which i reciprocated.

"Dr. Lindsey, you have a patient waiting in Trauma 3." A nurse called over and I sighed, picking up my things and walked to the room when i would spend the next few hours of my day.

At 3pm I got a text from Matty that simply said:

Matty: I'll pick you up for our date at 7.

Matty: I love you Aly

And for the rest of my shift, I never stopped grinning.