Chapter 3: 1st Day On The Job ✔

Waking up early was always my least favourite part of being an ER Doctor. I always ended up not sleeping the night before, leaving me tired and groggy all day. But this time was different, I had managed to get more than enough sleep last night so when I woke up, I was actually happy to be awake and excited to be ready for work.

After showering I put my ER scrubs and white coat into my hospital bag. I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans, a plain white tee and my jacket. I pulled my hair into a tight high pony tail, slipped on my converse and grabbed my keys and phone, slipping them into my bag.

After my stuff had arrived last week I went out with Voight and bought a car. Nothing too flash, just a simple black Honda Civic (car above).

Once I was sure I had everything I left my house and walked to my car, climbing in tossing my bag on the passenger side seat.

The drive to the hospital was nerve wracking so when I pulled into the staff parking lot I was already a mess.

I took a look in the mirror before I grabbed my bag and climbed out of my car, setting off into the ER. I walked in and went straight to where the offices are, where I was to find HR.

"Hi, I'm..." I began as I stood infront of the Staff Chief,

"Alice-Jane Lindsay?" He guess and I nodded.

"Fantastic, follow me." He ordered and he took off. I struggled to keep up with him as he led me to the staff locker room.

He walked over to a tall, red haired man who was in the middle of pulling on his scrubs.

"Will, this is Doctor Alice-Jane Lindsay, she's the new Trauma surgeon and will be working in the ER with you and the team."

"Great." He smiled. The Staff Chief handed me a plastic pack and then left.

"Well, he's cheery." I huffed, looking up at the red haired doctor who smiled.

"He gets easier." He grinned standing up.

"I'm Will, Halstead." He held his hand out and I took it, shaking it.

"Alice-Jean Lindsay, you can call me Alice, but most just call me AJ."

"Lindsay? As in..."

"Erin Lindsay? Yeah, she's my twin sister." I chuckled. "Her name seemed to well known Round here."

"She dated my brother, Jay. They lived together for a while, before she left." He explained. I was a little surprised at this but I mean, I knew she had a boyfriend for a while, never knew his name, or that they lived together.

"So, your ID badge should be in the pack, that's where mine was when I started. It should also include a pager, locker number and Shift schedule. So, get changed and meet me at the reception desk and we'll go from there." He instructed and o nodded before he left.

I did as told, pulled my scrubs on, put my clothes in my locker, one the pack told me was mine and I pinned my ID badge to the front of my coat, clipped my pager to my waist band before I exited the locker room and made my way over to the reception area where Will stood.

"OK, so, I'm assuming you have experience in the ER?"

"I do." I nodded and he smiled, handing me a clip board.

"Then we'll skip the orientation and tour and just dive right in." He offered and I nodded, thankful to be put to work.

For the first couple hours in ER I followed Will around, helping him with his patients and meeting the Doctors who also work ER, by 11 I was working on my own, patching up a young boy who had fallen when Natalie Manning, a doctor on the floor, ran over and informed me of a wave of trauma about to hit.

"Building fire, mostly smoke insulation and burns, Ambos and Truck 81 are on route. Finish off here and get out to the desk." She informed me. I nodded and went back to the kid. Once I was finished I wandered over to the desk just as the doors opened and in came casualty and casualty. Each were taken onto rooms and doctors where spread out.

I was working on my 2nd patient when I heard a familiar voice call out.

"Can I get a Doctor over here!" I turned around to see Matt Casey, all geared up in firefighters gear all except his coat. In his arms was a young girl, 15 maybe 16.

"Matt?" I called as I left the guy I was assessing with a tank of oxygen and a mask.

"Aly? Hey, I need help!" He called as he ran over. I nodded and lead him to an empty room, grabbing a blank clipboard as we passed the desk. Once in the room I closed the door while Matt placed the girl on a bed. She was unconscious, wearing nothing but underwear and Matt's fire resistant coat.

"What do we have?" I asked, pulling at my pen, jotting down notes as I assessed her.

"She was in the fire, locked up in a closet. She got free as we were vacating the building. By the time I got her out of the fire all the Ambos where gone so I brought her in the truck." He told me as I checked her over.

She was skinny, bruised and beaten. Her hair was matted, as if not been brushed in months. Everything about this girl screamed abuse so I walked over and grabbed a nurse working on the floor.

"I want a full work up on this girl, including rape kit, CT and X-rays. I wanna know how on God's green earth happen for this girl to get like this." I ordered, the nurse nodded and

"I'll get a photo over to PD, see if Voight and his team can ID her."

"I had Hermann call already, he's on his way." Matt informed me as he stood by the door, watching me work.

"Are you OK?" I asked him as I pulled an Oxygen mask over the girls head.

"Just a little shaken I guess. I've delt with fires like that before, but never have I seen anything like this." He sighed, placing his head in his hands. I walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Casey?" I heard another familiar voice call as the door opened and in walked Voight and one of his team. A young girl.

"Voight." Matt acknowledged with a nod.

"AJ." My foster father smiled slightly.

"Hank." I shadowed Matt's actions, moving away from my friend and walking back over to the bed to continue my work.

"I'm gonna need a statement from you Matt." Hank spoke up and Matt nodded. He looked over at the girl a look of concern on his face.

"Here, take this..." I began as I scribbled my number down onto my number on a piece of paper. "Call me later for an update." I smiled handing it over.

"Thanks Aly." He smiled softly.

"Aly?" I asked, an eyebrow raised as I looked over at him. He shrugged and let out a small laugh.

"Sorry, slipped out."

"It's fine." I smiled as Hank and Matt left the room, leaving me to continue.

Once there was nothing else I could do I walked out and helped out where I could until things finally quietened down.

"Hey, new girl." A voice called into the room as I patched up the last of the burn victims. I looked up quickly to see Will smiling at me.

"Dr Will." I retorted, looking back at the young boy, maybe 12, who had a large gash on his head which I was in the middle of stitching up.

"Eventful first day" He noted, walking over, towering over me as I finished the last stitch.

"And we're only half way through." I chuckled, taking the clipboard and filling the last few boxes.