💫 - Shadow Play

~~~

The next day, MK decided to invite everyone for a day out, a break from work and hero-ing. Sadly, Sandy wasn't able to make it, too busy with his therapy cat session, but Peach would be sure to fill him in about it later.

"I'm so excited! I haven't been to the movies in ages!" MK cheered excitedly, and everyone looked at him confused.

"Uh, kid. This ain't a cinema." Pigsy exclaimed, and Tang nodded. "It's a shadow play, with puppets."

MK changed from excited to disappointed in a matter of seconds, a large frown on his face. "Wha? Puppets? No!" He whipped out a poster of a Monkey King movie. "I thought we were seeing Kung Fu Monkey Cop: The Movie!"

"Eh, check the back." Mei said, and Peach turned the paper around in MK's hands with a deadpan expression. He sees the back of the poster, revealing the shadow play he and the others ended up going to instead. He looked up with a huff, only to spot the Mayor in another spot. "Oh, Guys. Isn't that the guy who gave us that weird key?"

Mei looked over at him with a slight glare, suspicious of his presence. "You mean the magic key that can unlock anything? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is him, and I'm also pretty sure that he's still not actually the Mayor."

The Mayor waved to them with a creepy laugh. "Hello!"

Tang cringed. "Eurgh. Well, that's not creepy at all."

Pigsy turned his attention back to MK, a hand on the young boy's shoulder. "Point is, whatever we're watching, you've earned a break, kid."

Peach nodded. "You've been training really hard. With everything that's happening, you deserve this." Besides, it's been a while since we've all hung out like this." Mei nodded in agreement.

"So, was Sandy just busy or..." Tang wondered.

"What are you talking about? We hang out all the time!" MK exclaimed, and both girls shook their heads. "Nuh-uh. girlfriend! It's always Monkey King this or some scary skeleton thing that with you lately!"

MK and Peach both faltered at the mention of the Lady Bone Demon. The delivery boy stuttered. "Well, yeah but-."

"Just yesterday you blew off checkers night cause' you had to study. Study what, I might ask?!" Tang yelled out, throwing checker pieces at MK.

"Alright, alright! I get it!" MK admits, sighing in exasperation. "It's just, Monkey King said..." MK trails off. As if sensing his negativity and insecurities, Peach placed a comforting hand on his back. "I just- I need to be ready."

Pigsy looked genuinely concerned for him. "Ready for what?"

The lights dimmed down, and Tang shushed Pigsy. "Shh! It's starting!"

"Tang, would you-.! Tang shushes him again, frustrating the pig demon.

A hanging shadow puppet emerges on stage from the ceiling.

"Tang, what kind of play did you say this was?!" Pigsy whisper shouted. Before the human could reply though, the curtains drew back to reveal the puppeteer.

"Welcome viewers to a shadow play the likes of which have never been seen!" The puppeteer greeted. "It follows the tragic tale of a legendary warrior, and how those who bring light into this world inevitability bring darkness to those they hold dear." He explained.

"Mei, Peach, I just realized something." MK whispered, both girls looked to him.

"What?" Mei whispered back. "I, I don't have snacks!"

Peach sighed. "MK, you literally just ate, you don't need anymore!"

"Must get snacks!" MK repeated, and Peach groaned. "Ugh, fine. Go grab some snacks